CHAPTER XXII: Nagini vs. Fawkes

Start from the beginning

He attempted to jump onto the snake but it snapped back at him. It bit him in the leg, hard. You could see the holes in his leg start gushing blood. Loki fell back in pain and you panicked.

What should you do?

You tried to grab at the fang and one of Loki's knives which had fallen to the ground, but the snake kept trying to strike at you. You ran up the stairs to the top of the shack, now trapped there by the snake, which would be making its way towards you.

You were wracking your brain for spells to use. You couldn't use fiendfyre, it was a dark arts spell and it would also burn the entire place down, you and Loki along with it. You didn't have the fang. You were screwed.

Just then, you heard a screeching sound coming from the window. You squinted your eyes. It was a phoenix, holding the sorting hat.

The bird flew into the window and almost crashed right into you. You couldn't believe what you were seeing. It dropped the sorting hat onto the floor and perched itself on the window.

A dagger materialized into the hat. Salazar Slytherin's dagger, silver and encrusted with emeralds. It was only a myth, but that had to be it. Every founding house member had supposedly constructed some sort of weapon, along with their Hogwarts relics. And the dagger was made of goblin steel. It had appeared to you in your time of need.

Nagini finally slithered up the stairs, it's eyes locked onto you. It attempted to strike you again, but the phoenix latched onto it with its talons and held it back. In another second, you grabbed the dagger and sliced its head clean off. The snake disappeared into black ashes.

You just sat there for a minute staring at the large, red bird. You got up and returned the dagger to the hat, expecting the bird to fly away with it. But it followed you down the stairs when you went to check on Loki.

He had ripped a piece of his sleeve off and wrapped it around his leg.

"Took you long enough," he said. He was looking quite pale and not sitting all the way upright. You had never seen him look so vulnerable.

"I had to ruin my designer suit," he complained, his eyes full of regret while looking at his torn sleeve. That was likely the main reason why he appeared so sick.

You crouched down next to him to look at his leg and it was still bleeding heavily. You were about to cast a spell to stop the bleeding and apparate with him to St. Mungo's Hospital, but the phoenix came up to Loki, one of its tears dropping onto him.

"What in the bloody hell is that?" He asked. "Get it off me!" He tried to swat the bird away but it wouldn't budge.

You laughed. "It's a phoenix. Its tears have healing properties."

"I beg your pardon? How could a bird have - " Loki looked down at his leg and the wound was completely gone. His pale complexion was coming back to its normal color.

"Hm. Thanks, bird." Loki sat up and looked at you. "I doubted you before, Y/N, with your ability to defeat a snake."

"Don't doubt me ever again," you replied, getting up and brushing yourself off.

"Now let's get out of this dump," Loki said.

You could've sworn you heard some odd whispering as you left the Shrieking Shack with Loki. You looked up into the sky. The phoenix was flying off with the sorting hat.

"Where did it come from?" Loki asked you.

"No idea," you shrugged your shoulders. It was right in the nick of time too. There's no way that was a coincidence. Someone was on your side and helping you. For some reason, your mind was blanking on who it could be.