Chapter Sixty-Six

Start from the beginning

"How about you?" she asks, her eyes cautiously flickering up to mine. "Do you ever see yourself living... elsewhere?"

I think carefully. I don't want a fight, but I don't want to outright lie to the girl.

"Haven't thought much about it," I say, settling on a half-truth.

She seems to chew on this and thankfully doesn't push it.

She's very cute when she scrunches her nose while deep in thought. Without thinking, I lean down and place a kiss on her rosy cheek. She looks up at me with such a genuine smile it makes my heart leap to my throat. 

"Come on, let's head back," I say to her, clasping her tight to me.

When we return to the hotel, Hazel heads upstairs to change and dress for dinner. I only have the clothes I'm in so there's use in pretending I'm changing. I stay instead in the lobby, waiting for Mr. Williams. It doesn't take long for Mr. Williams to show, with a brighter smile than I've ever seen on the man. In fact, he walks with such a pep in his step it seems to hide his usual hobble.

"Sir," I say, rising from a velvet chair seated in the black and white hall.

"Ah, Harry, my boy!" Mr Williams exclaims, marching over on his cane towards me, an older gentleman following him in tow. "And how was the day with dear Hazel?"

"Just grand, sir." I reply, eyeing the other man "Thank you for the sight seeing tips. We just barely scratched the surface."

"I figured as much. A town like London has so much to offer."

"How was your visit?" I ask.

"Ah, well, not quite finished." He smiles. "This here is my friend Arthur Matthews."

"Pleased to make your acquaintance, Mr Matthews." I say, shaking his hand.

"Please, Arthur is just fine." The man smiles. He has a narrow face, his high cheekbones accentuated by his wide smile. "You must be the young lad Ben here can't stop raving about!"

"Oh I don't know about that.." I nervously say. 

"Pish- Anyone who makes my life easier as a hobbling old man deserves much respect," Mr Williams says grabbing my shoulder.

"And here comes my lovely niece, Hazel!" Mr. Williams exclaims. All three of us turn to see Hazel make her way towards us, her hands placed neatly in front of her as she holds her small bag. Her eyes light up as she sees me, and I can't help but let out a little sigh. 

Christ, I'm a goner.

"Uncle Ben," she says as she moves towards us. "What a marvelous day we've had! You wouldn't believe all the things we managed to see!"

"I've heard it was a good day. Glad to know Harry here has a future in not just administration but perhaps tour guides as well." He lets out a chuckle at his own joke.

"Can I introduce you to my friend here," he says, introducing Arthur to Hazel. The two exchange pleasantries before the four of us make our way to the dinning room for supper.

The banquet hall is the grandest room I've ever been in. I stick out like giant thumb in my worn out jacket and sweater whereas the other men come dressed in fine suits.

Just breathe, Harry. I tell myself. I'm not going to stay stuck on that little farm back home. I can do this.

As I mentally push through the awkwardness I feel, the group dives into conversation.

"You really must go to the National Gallery while you're here," Arthur says sipping on a glass of red wine.

"Do you like art, Hazel?" He asks.