Oh, Fire, Fire!

Noon rolled around eventually, and Jin finally deemed that she was awake enough to give me a lesson. The first thing she did was punch me.
"Fire bending is all about feeling!" she stated. "Can't feel, can't bend. Simple."
"I feel fine!" I answered back.
"What is wrong with you is that you let go of your emotions," she said, sitting on a rock. "You need to use them as fuel, not feel and then let go."
"I have no idea what you're talking about."
"A dry leaf burns for a second and then goes out," Jin tried to explain. "A log will burn a lot longer, but a log takes longer to grow than a leaf. Same thing with your emotions."
"So you're saying that I need to build up my feelings over time and let loose when it comes time to fight?" I asked sceptically.
"No," she sighed. "You need to feel your emotions, but not forget them. Don't hold onto your anger or pain or anything, but keep in mind why you felt that way."
"I should forgive my enemies, but remember their faces?"
"Yeah, JFK did say that, and that applies to us now."
"Who's JFK?" I asked. "Is that the Chicken Man?"
"No, that's KFC and also off-topic."
"Okay," I sighed. "So, feel and remember."

She looked me up and down.
"Let's see your form," she commanded me.
"See, there's the problem," I said slowly. "I don't have any form because Jeong Jeong just taught us breathing techniques."
"Then take your breathing stance."
I stood with my legs apart like I was riding an invisible horse.
"Good stance," the girl nodded at me. "Okay. For Firebending to work, you need to let your energy flow. Push your energy down into your stomach."
I sighed and swirling arm movements towards my core, concentrating on the 'fire in my belly'.
"Breathing is important. If you don't have good breathing habits, your fire will be weak," Jin took up a stance. "I'll teach you some kicks that with fire create arcs and rings. Firebending has lots of kicking and fast jabbing motions, so you need to be a little less stiff in your stance, loosen up a bit."

She twisted her body around and nearly slapped me in the face with her front leg. I dodged back before returning with a kick of my own. No fire just yet, just the kicks.
"Loosen up!" she snapped. "You're bumbling around like an earthbender, but you're not using a stubborn element. You need to bounce on your feet, but remember to have a firm foundation for your attacks."
"How firm a foundation?" I asked, rising to my toes a little and bobbing slightly.

"Better?" I asked.
"We'll see," she responded, quickly ducking down and sweeping my feet from under me.
As I landed, I curled into a ball and rolled back to my feet.
"Not bad, but you can do better," she tried again.

This time I jumped and wasn't thrown onto my face. But then she came back at me with a roundhouse.
"Now, some arms thrown in!" she suddenly clotheslined me, and I landed on my back again.
Muteki happened to return at that moment and started to laugh his head off.
"Dude, she's demolishing you!"
"Up, start using fire," Jin commanded, returning to her stance. "I won't since I don't know how much you know."

"I know enough," I said.
Humiliation is humiliating. She gave me an odd look but remained in her stance. I don't mind being beaten by a girl, but this girl is going down.
I threw a fire jab at her shoulder before swinging a flaming arc across her body. Then I closed the distance; fire writhed up my arms as I swung punches at the little girl.
She - of course, she could - deflected my fire and met my punches with a freaking judo throw.
As I landed again, I turned it into another roll and dodged sideways as she brought her foot down to where my chest once was. I then dropped into a stance that allowed me to do something I could almost remember. Half step, lower my body, swing through and jump. I blasted fire from my feet as I flew through the air, bringing the kick down in the space I thought she was occupying. She stepped back, narrowly avoiding the kick to her head and deflecting the fire, and caught me while my guard was down with three sharp jabs to my shoulders and lower back.

I spun and brought my foot to her face, but she blocked it as I expected. Now to try something either epically awesome or epically stupid. I used her crossed arms as a stepping stone to hoist myself up. My free leg wrapped around her shoulders then I rolled, bringing her down with me. But of course, she rolled back onto me, swinging her legs over my head. Her thighs locked around my head, so she was pretty much sitting on my face. It would have been awkward if she hadn't then decided to punch me right in the gut and then jump back and out of range before blasting fire directly next to my head. I think she singed a few hairs.

"Not bad," she responded. "Amaya tried something similar. If you think being unpredictable will help you against me, don't bother. Amaya cuts down trees in her fights. Also, if I had been Azula, you might've died a few rounds back."
"If you had been Azula, your fire would've been blue," I retorted, wheezing a little. "Also, was your fire sparking?"
"No, you clearly took a few hits to the head," she laughed.
"Yeah, her fire is completely normal, mate," Muteki added.
"Take five. When your head stops ringing, I'll teach you to actually deflect fire," Jin responded. "Now, I need tea. I've been conditioned to requiring tea after practice."
"That's what you called it?" Muteki quipped.
"Ah, shut up your face," I groaned and dropped my head back to the ground.