Chapter 26

A/N: So the bad news, this is the final chapter. This fairytale experience had to end somewhere. The good news though, there will be another part to this story. please stay tuned for it to arrive.

I was in a much better place than I had been in a long time.  This trip had been exactly what I needed and I couldn’t help but believe that it all had happened for a reason.  I wasn’t looking forward to explaining this all to my family, but I felt good. I was actually happy. My heart and spirit felt light. It was a special kind of freedom.  I was going home knowing I was loved unconditionally, and that the person responsible for that would be flying out to see me.  I fully believed I was living in a dream that I never wanted to wake up from.  I set out on this trip to find myself, but I ended up finding so much more.

The next few days passed in a blur. It was time to pop our little bubble and neither of us was ready. I wanted to stop time, or just pretend it didn’t exist. Before I knew it, we were packing our things and confirming travel arrangements. He was going to take me to the airport and see me off before he drove home. There were a lot of tears and gentle touches. The days were comfortable and soft, the nights were explosive. 

On the morning we left, we woke up sad but calm. We took a clean shower together and dressed comfortably. He took our suitcases out to the car. We had returned my rental days ago so we wouldn't have to worry about it. We did a final pass around the cabin. I followed the closing procedures and we were on our way. The ride to the airport was quiet, but comfortable. He held my hand and we sang along to the radio at times. It was kind of perfect. 

At the airport he walked me as close to my gate as he was able. We said our goodbyes. He hugged and kissed me and pressed his forehead to mine. I promised to call him once I got home. He promised to do the same. The 10 days were going to feel like forever, but we had a timeline. He placed his hands on either side of my face and kissed me softly one more time before letting me go. 

He whispered into the small space between us. “I love you.”

“I love you too.” I bit my lip and held his eyes.

The tears rolled down our cheeks. I swallowed hard as I walked away from him. I made it through security and boarded my plane. I put on my music and slept the whole way home. Michelle met me on the other side and I was a bucket of tears as she pulled me into her arms. 

“Oh baby girl. You have had an adventure.” I just nodded into her shoulder. “Let's get you home so we can prepare for his visit.”