Chapter 13

He dropped me off at my place and said he’d be back in an hour and a half to pick me up for dinner. I hopped in the shower so that I could get my hair to curl. I pulled it up into a twist and left the ends free. Not knowing what would happen after dinner, I took my time putting lotion on, and getting into the fancy underwear. I cut the tags off of the dress and just stared at it for a bit. I slipped it on over my head and zipped it up and stepped into my new shoes. I stood in front of the full length mirror and I hardly recognized myself. I have never worn a lot of makeup and I had none with me so that part was easy. I did have some chapstick so I threw that in the pocket of my new coat. I also grabbed some things out of my purse like my cards and ID and some cash and my phone and transferred them to the pocket of my coat as well. I was startled by the doorbell. Where had the time gone? I hurried over to let Avi in. He looked amazing standing in my doorway. He was wearing a tailored gun metal gray suit with a black dress shirt and a black tie with a purple design on it. His hair was pulled back tight in a looped over ponytail and he had trimmed his beard slightly. He looked so good that I couldn’t even speak.

He stepped in and took my hand and held me at arm’s length for a moment and then spun me in a circle. “You look amazing," he told me, scanning me from head to toe. “But something is missing.” He held out a small silver gift bag. “Let’s see if we can do something with these.” 

I hesitated taking the bag. “What’s this?”, I asked. 

He just smiled. He reached into the bag and handed me a long skinny velvet box. “Let’s start with this.”

I opened it slowly and gasped. It was a beautiful white gold bracelet with alternating diamonds and amethysts. I gasped and told him that it was a hell of a start. He took it out of the box and fastened it around my wrist.

“You like it?”, he asked, still smiling. 

“It’s beautiful.” 

“Good. You should like the others then.” He handed me a small square velvet box. It contained a pair of amethyst teardrop earrings set in white gold with diamond accents. After admiring them for a moment, I took them out of the box and put them in my ears. “There is one more," he said reaching into the bag. The velvet box he handed me this time was flat and square and about the size of my hand. The amusement made his eyes sparkle as he watched me. This box held a beautiful amethyst teardrop pendant with diamond accents on a very delicate white gold chain. I could tell that he had put a lot of thought into picking these out. The three pieces were stunning and entirely unexpected. 

“Can you help me with this?”, I looked up at him. He smiled so brightly, 

“My pleasure.”

Standing behind me, he very carefully unhooked the chain and brought his arms in front of me and brought his hands behind my neck to re-hook the chain. He made sure it laid right and then kissed the middle of the back of my neck very softly. Tears that I didn’t know I had, began to fall. He turned me around to face him.

“Whatever is the matter, love?”, he said, wiping away the tears. 

Swallowing and taking a deep breath, I answered him. “My husband used to kiss the back of my neck whenever he would help me with a necklace.” 

He placed his hand under my chin and met my eyes, “I am so sorry. I imagine there are many times that something like this might come up. It’s ok.” He slowly closed the gap between our lips and softly pressed his to mine. “I am here for you always. You can talk to me about anything.” I wrapped my arms around his neck and I pressed my face against his shoulder. He held me for a few minutes and kissed the top of my head. “We should probably get going if we are going to meet my parents for dinner.” He picked my new coat off of the back of the chair and helped me into it. I double checked my pockets and I let him lead me out the door.