The Vampire's Decision

Why do I do this?

-----------------------------------------------

Gon's POV

I sat at the table, anxiously awaiting Killua's answer. I had been waiting for so long, I couldn't contain my excitement at all. But he didn't seem to want to answer. Or more like he couldn't. He just sat there stammering, I could barely make out what he was saying. I wanted to know, but not bad enough to make him suffer like this, I couldn't make him tell me his secret if he wasn't ready.

Killua took another tiny sip from whatever was in his glass, but could hardly take anything more than a small amount, he was shaking so much. Even in the darkness of the night, I could see the light sheen of sweat glistening on his face. His breathing became heavier more desperate like he could no longer breathe at all. "Killua...?"

"I-I'm sorry, G-Gon. I can't do it," I murmured glaring down at the table. A few stray tears fell from his eyes and landed directly on the table.

"It's-"

He cut me off, "I'm sorry, I know I promised, but I just can't do it. Y-you can ask Mito or any of the others if you want, but I can't do it. I can't tell you..." he cried, and then he ran away.

"Killua! Wait, where are you going?!" I reached out towards where he left, but I knew it was hopeless. Still, that never stopped me.

I ran after him, I ran as fast as I possibly could, but it was no use, I couldn't find him. He'd run so far from me that I couldn't even get a hold of his scent, which was strange because his scent was really distinctive from everyone else's. I wonder where he went? Will he be back later?... I hope so...

The amount of time I had spent trying to find Killua that night was impossible to keep track of. But, eventually, something in me told me to go back to my house and get some sleep and hope that he would be back. I didn't want to worry anybody, according to Mito, Killua's supposedly really dangerous, so she might think I didn't accept whatever his secret was and that he killed me. Which he would never do!

On the way back to my house, rain started to pour down on me, which seemed fitting with the situation. I didn't want to be alone, I wanted to be with someone, I wanted to be with Killua. I felt absolutely terrible for causing him as much pain as I was doing. He was probably suffering this whole time and I was just completely oblivious to it, I'm such an idiot, it's just like at the carnival. I wasn't able to do anything to help him.

"Gon, you're all wet!" my aunt exclaimed as soon as I stepped into our warm abode. She quickly made her way to the bathroom to grab some towels before dashing right on back to me. Once she was done drying me off, she studied my surroundings, "Where's Killua? Don't tell me you didn't accept him."

"I didn't have the chance to accept him. All of a sudden he got super scared and just ran away," I explained. I decided against asking her, or anyone about Killua's secret. I know he said I could if I wanted, but if I'm going to know his secret, I'd rather he be the one who tells me.

"So he didn't tell you then?" She looked surprisingly calm, but I could tell that she held a little bit of anger towards Killua for flaking out on her. I didn't care all that much, it's not like it would've changed anything between us.

"No, but don't blame him. I only met him earlier this month, and it seems this secret is really important to him. I don't mind waiting, even if it takes years for him to be comfortable enough around me to actually tell me. I feel like I put him through too much stress already, so if it takes him time, who am I to argue?" I tried to reassure her.

"Do you know where he is?" she asked, I solemnly shook my head in response, because, in truth, I didn't have the slightest clue. "Hmmm, I guess we'll have to try and find him tomorrow then, it's nearly ten already. And who knows? Maybe he'll come back!" I knew she was trying to be supportive, but I wasn't really feeling it. From the beginning, I could easily tell that she hated Killua, it was more obvious than the fact that Killua was a cat.