4 | Property of Astrid Nova Black

Harry did not expect to start the day off apparating to a random neighborhood with Dumbledore to meet an old colleague of his. He also didn't expect this friend of Dumbledore's to be disguised as an arm couch. But, then again, every day has been a mystery to Harry.

After introductions and Slughorn refusing to return to Hogwarts, Dumbledore dismissed himself to use Slughorn's bathroom.

Slughorn turned towards Harry and took in his appearance. "You're very like your father. Except for the eyes, of course. You have your—"

"My mother's eyes," interrupted Harry, "yeah." Harry had heard this many times in his life, especially from Sirius.

"Lily, lovely Lily." Slughorn couldn't help but reminisce on the time he spent as a Professor as he talked about Harry's mother. "She's exceedingly bright, your mother. Even more impressive even when one could say that she was Muggle-born."

"One of my best friends is Muggle-born. She's the best in our year." Harry was slightly offended when Slughorn commented on his mother's blood status.

"Oh. please don't think I'm prejudiced. No, no, no." Slughorn further explained. "Your mother was one of my absolute favorites."

Slughorn turned to a shelf he had against the wall that held multiple photos of his past students before pointing at a photo of a young girl with red hair and Harry's green eyes. "Look, there she is. Right at the front. All mine. Each and every one. Ex-students, I mean. You recognize Barnabas Cuffe? Editor of the Daily Prophet. Always takes my owl should I wish to register an opinion on the news of the day. Gwenog Jones, captain of the Holy head Harpies. Free tickets whenever I want them. Of course, I haven't been to a match in some time."

Harry's eyes traced all the photos of Slughorn's old students before his eyes fell on a boy who looked like Sirius, except the student had blue eyes and was dressed in Slytherin robes.

"Ah, yes! Regulus Black. No doubt, there is his older brother Sirius, who died a few weeks ago, and his older sister, Astrid Black. I taught the whole Black family, except Sirius. It's a shame. A talented boy. I got Regulus when he came along, of course, but... but I'd like to set."

While looking at all the different photos of Slughorn's prized students, Harry noticed a photo that was hidden behind some of the frames. The photo showed a couple that was running around the Quidditch pitch. The boy had brown, messy hair with glasses while the girl had black hair with a warm smile. The pair looked more in love than lots of couples Harry had seen.

Before Harry could get a closer look, Dumbledore interrupted Harry and Slughorn's conversation.

"Horace!" said Dumbledore as he waltzed into the room. "Do you mind if I take this? I do love knitting patterns."

"Yes, of course, but you're not leaving, are you?" Slughorn enjoyed the company, especially when that company was with someone as important as the Boy Who Lived.

"Oh, I think I know a lost cause when I see one." Dumbledore had a hint of mischief in his eyes, one that only Harry seemed to notice. "Regrettable, I would have considered it a very personal triumph if you consented to return to Hogwarts. Ah well, you're like my friend Mr. Potter here. One of a kind. Well, bye-bye Horace."

"Bye..." Slughorn hesitated before he continued. "Alright. I'll do it. But I want Professor Merrythought's old office, not the water closet I had before. And I expect a raise. These are mad times we're living, mad!"

"They are, indeed," Dumbledore chuckled as he looked like his dear old friend. He knew that Slughorn wouldn't give up the opportunity to have a student as famous as Harry Potter himself.