Is this some sort of warning? I should be concerned about this, but I am more worried about him than me.

"You looked like you were in so much pain, and then you just fell and died." The words barely make it out as a whisper. "I'll do anything to protect you, even if I have to face that creature. I'll die for you Esa."

You would die for me? I would not let you make such a choice. If anything, I'd die for you.

"I know, Skylar," I said, interrupting him. I grabbed his head with my hands, leaned forward, and kissed his forehead gently. "You won't ever have to do that because we're strong, and with the covens united we have more than enough power to stand up and fight."

Smiling was contagious, and when he saw me smile, he did the same. With the light of a few candles illuminating the room, I saw every line and curve painted out perfectly.

"It's always the good that triumphs over evil, remember? And it's all thanks to you, Skylar. Without your plan, nothing would have happened the way we wanted to, but now we have a fighting chance against Akin."

My words found their way to him, and he finally relaxed. I watched the fatigue show on his face. His breathing slowed, and his eyes focused on mine. He leaned back on his arms, so we were both sitting face to face on the floor, both wearing a worried smile.

"You're exhausted, Skylar. Get some rest. I know how exhausting the nightmares can be."

He took my advice and got off the floor. Walking to his bed, he flopped onto it, laying on top of the blanket as he rested one hand over his eyes for a moment. When I got off the floor, he lifted his hand slightly and looked my way.

"Can you stay with me until I go back to sleep?" His eyes gleamed in the soft, warm light, making my heart miss a beat. I wanted to stay, but I knew I had too much to do.

"I need to check if the leaders are already here from the other covens. If they are, we can start working on the plans for the coming war. Go to sleep. I'll come by later to see you."

He looked crestfallen, and I wished I could stay with him until he slept, but there were pressing matters to attend to at the moment. Skylar nodded, then smiled, turned to face the wall and almost immediately fell asleep. He was drained beyond his limits, and I didn't blame him since I couldn't remember the last time we'd had a decent rest.

"Extinguo," I whispered almost without a sound. The spell activated, and all the candles in the room died out almost instantly. I stood at the doorway, looking back into the room, and looked at Skylar one last time before I closed the door.

I wandered around the coven and kept to myself as I searched for Raguel. I found him close to the conference room near the enchanted garden. He was talking to a few of his witches by the clover-shaped fountain. I recognised them from the war talk we had earlier, and when he saw me, he sent them off while gesturing to me to move closer.

What better way to get some words of wisdom than talking with a wise witch in an enchanted garden? Probably a few, but I didn't have any other options.

It was wide and open and sloped gently down to a cosmic-blue river. A grove of tall moss-smothered trees flanked us on one side with a thicket of peaceful witches standing guard. Hoods of black shadows hung around the grove, making me uneasy, but I ignored it. Vines hung down like limbs from the stone walls, curling around the white picket fence.

"Raguel, what I'm about to ask you is between us only."

We looked at each other seriously. He nodded and asked me in a low voice, "What's wrong, Esa?"