Prologue

"Esa, Esa. Come here, come here," a young witch called from a small garden.

Esa recognised the child's voice and went to investigate. He stopped at the wiry black metal gate and looked into the garden to see her there, hunched over something hidden behind the bush.

"What's wrong, Meria?" he asked with a small, concerned call as he opened the gate with a loud creak.

He walked closer and ducked behind the bush. A small sapling had snapped in half from the storm last night. Esa sighed as Meria looked concerned for the poor plant.

"Can you save him? Can you save him?" Meria begged Esa as tears welled up in her eyes.

Esa felt the life force of the sapling diminish each second that passed since its trunk was snapped.

"I should be able to, but I think you should save him," Esa said as he knelt next to Meria. Her long, curly red hair fell about her face and into her green eyes, which watched him as he studied the plant. It was evident from the look on her face that she more than adored him, and she knew that he would be able to help her.

"But I'm not as strong as you are," Meria cried as she looked back at the dying sapling.

"That's not true. Maybe your love for this sapling is what will mend it," Esa said as he held his palms out to her. "Here, hold my hand and repeat these words: Sarcio, Dilectio, Crescere," Esa said, and Meria looked at him with a blank expression, looking lost. "I don't think I can," Meria said.

Esa giggled at her small protest but insisted she tried it.

She sloppily repeated the magic words, making him chuckle.

"That's perfect. Let's get to work," said Esa as he took Meria's small hands and wrapped them around the broken part of the sapling. Esa put his arm around her and felt the magic surge inside him. Restoration magic had the most soothing effect on the mind and body. It was like the comforting hug a mother would give to her child or that of a lover after a long and weary day.

"Am I holding it right?" Meria asked in concern. Esa laughed and said, "You're doing perfectly. Now say it with me. Sarcio."

Both of their hands glowed gold, with hers being faded from the childlike way she pronounced the word of power. How the words were said determined the results that came from the spell. Speak with confidence and assurance, and you might be able to pull off a pretty powerful spell. Do it otherwise, and even the most basic spell might seem difficult.

"Dilectio." Their hands glowed a light-hearted pink as the magic changed with the word. Esa heard the gate creak open but didn't bother to look to see who it was. The spell was almost complete.

"Crescere," Esa and Meria said in unison.

The light flashed herbal green. Slowly, the one-foot-tall pine sapling straightened back upright. Meria gasped in excitement and looked at her mother with delight.

"Did you see that Mamma? Did you see that?" Meria shouted in joy and happiness, bouncing up and down with absolute pleasure.

"Yes, I did Meria. I'm so proud," replied her mother, Sylva, one of the most esteemed garden witches of the coven. Happily, she hugged Meria and said, "You'll be a fine garden witch yet," while tapping the cheerful girl's nose.

Meria went back to watching the pine tree as before. Her mother chuckled while she and Esa watched the young girl in turn. She was turned away from them, scrutinising the sapling to see if there was anything else it might need.

"You have the patience of a saint, Esa. She's been staring at the poor tree for a month. What are you up to today?" Sylva asked.

"I have some things to get from the market. Meria caught me as I was walking by. Her detection is getting stronger every month," Esa commented to Sylva, beaming happily.