Chapter Twelve

Tristan Slade

Graphic violence ahead in this chapter- shooting, killing etc.

***

I gaped, stepping out into the porch, trying to find some path that led away from this house. But the woods surrounded from one end to another, and endless darkness ahead due to the thick woods. The house was caged, hidden within the woods.

"Why would you leave?" An incredulous voice asked from behind, once again I did not bother to look which of the two men it was.

"I have a life to get back to. My company needs me." I didn't know why I even bothered to explain to these men. I had my own life to lead. I had the right to make my own decisions, I refuse to stay here imprisoned by this ridiculous nonsense. I had one mission, and one mission alone. I wasn't going to put everything I loved in danger, even for the man that came from my dreams.

The woods eventually stop into an old town or main roads, right?

Believing what I know, I walked towards the woods.

"Those woods can be dangerous, if you don't know your way through them." A deep voice rumbled, speeding the beating of my heart. A very appealing sound that called onto me.

"Stupid Toothless!" I grumbled, walking into the woods. The laughs erupted from either Austin or Alec -most likely Austin- didn't take my interest. Calling him that was childish of me, a woman of my age shouldn't be acting in such away. But from the years of having to built myself up, I deserved to have perhaps a little bit of childishness in my life.

Mother gave me her moments, but it wasn't enough, I was always treated like an outsider. Some actually had the privilege of having a proper loving and caring childhood, but I didn't.

Keeping my gaze ahead into the thick woods, I walked straight, ready to get back to my company.

I fought the urge to look back, and lock my eyes with the oceanic wilderness of the seafoam eyes, one last time. Whoever this man was, he definitely engraved himself into my mind, making it almost impossible to pass any other thought. But I won't let him keep me here. A man of his age believed in dragons, creatures from storybooks told to children on sleepless nights.

"He needs to grow up." I muttered, walking past trees after trees.

I cringed, feeling myself step onto something wet and moist, "Ew!" I screeched. Looking at my feet, I noticed I was bare feet covered in dirt. Being completely determined to simply get away from Tristan, I didn't even check to see if I was wearing any footwear.

Balling my fists, I let out a scream of frustration and face-palmed. Frustration built in my veins, wanting me to punch and kick every tree in sight.

Calling him every name under the sun, I turned back towards his house and shouted, "TRISTAN SLADE! GIVE ME BACK MY JIMMY CHOOS!" Knowing I won't receive any answer, I whined as I continued walking forward, "He has my Jimmy Choos."

I shivered as the cold air erupted goosebumps on my skin. I had underestimated the thickness of these dark woods. Large trees grew tall, reaching to the skies, trying to hide any bit of sky or sunlight it possibly could. The bright sun had failed to have its rays penetrate through the dense canopy the trees made.

A range of reactions rushed through my body with every step I took. I either cringed at the dirt my feet touched and hissed as a fallen branch or stone dug into my soft flesh.

How much more further do I have to suffer this?

The smell of acorns and leaves was starting to suffocate me.