Chapter Eight

"What?" I asked, my voice low and breathless as I registered his words.

"Yes, ma'am. I'll explain everything." He promised.

"Ma'am, your speech.." Claire interrupted; uncertainty rang in her voice. She didn't know whether to attend to her work or do something on my behalf, by stepping out of her role.

"N-No.." The word flew unsteadily from my lips and I gazed back at Cameron, "Tell me, now!" I said sternly, after gathering my strength.

"I suggest we remove ourselves from the crowd, ma'am." Cameron gazed at me with worry as he spoke the words, yet another reason to cause a dreaded feeling to crawl into the pit of my stomach.

I nodded, before turning to Claire, "Distract them." Her eyes widened at my order; to actually step out her role nonetheless. I could see the gears working in her mind through her eyes, before she reluctantly nodded.

I pushed Cameron forward, "These findings better be accurate!" I hissed, "You're costing me a fortune, Cameron! This expansion builds my company up to multi-billion standards!"

"Yes, Ms. Kwon, I know." From the corner of my eyes I could see him roll his eyes, causing me to glare at him. "My apologies." He cleared his throat.

I knew, I should ask about mother first, but I wanted to prolong that for as long as I could. For a part of me feared I could be the reason behind what could have happened to her, and the pity that laced Cameron's voice, when he spoke of her only pushed me closer and closer to the flames and her screams. I had tried everything to push them back, but now, thinking of the possibilities, the dream came rushing back to me, along with the caressing of the flames.

My mind tried to search for something.. anything to keep me from remembering the dream and as my eyes landed on the champagne glass I was holding, the Venturi's words came to mind. As I passed through the crowd, my hate for Venturi only grew, shoving down the nervousness that was creeping up, along with the fear- an emotion I hadn't felt or had the need to feel in a very long time.

Gritting my teeth, I placed glass down onto a table I had passed by. From the rushing off my feet, and the fast movement of my hand, it toppled over under the influence of gravity, spilling the remainder of my drink. Even though I had heard the glass clanking against the table and the champagne rushing out, damping the soft cloth that covered the table, I had not cared, for the words he spoke swirled in my head, pushing the words out of my lips, "Is it the Venturi?" I asked, keeping my voice low as we tried to get through the crowd.

Smiles, along with odd looks were what I had received as I pushed Cameron through with me, but I brushed them all off with a small smile, hiding what I was truly feeling. If there was anything the business world taught me, it was to keep true emotion off your face, and walk with confidence, cursing them with a smile. The world worked in wicked ways and in order to fit in, some wickedness must come from you, otherwise you don't stand a chance in this world, it will tear you apart until you have nothing to hold onto. To fight, you must become a player in the wicked games they played, but it was your choice of response that mattered.... play it legally or illegally...

"I'm afraid, he's not the one that planned this, ma'am." Cameron's head turned towards me, just as we climbed up the stairs. An emotion crossed his eyes, a look of pity, and some disbelief of his own. Cameron's eyes cast down with a frown, an expression of not comprehending the reasons behind something... behind my attempted murder.

I gulped as his words reached my ears. So, Antonio Venturi spoke the truth, he wasn't the one who planned it. He wasn't one responsible for what had happened. I had foolishly pointed my finger at him, hoping to calm the frayed nerves of my body, and give me some sort of sanity.