Chapter Nine

The woods brought nothing but utter darkness. In the nighttime woods, the trees stayed black, its trunks against a strange bluish charcoal sky, such darkness. The path in front had become the deepest brown and moonlight could do so little when it came shining its light, only causing the stones to glimmer, but the canopy of trees prevented any other light from getting through.

I cried out in frustration, as my heels caught against fallen branches and roots of the large trees.

Running in Jimmy Choos was impossible, but running bare feet, and here where sharp thorns could cut through your flesh would be worse. The pain would simply slow me down.

I could still hear the cracking of the fire, and its heat. Though it had died down a little, it was still there, following my feet with each step I took.

The eerie silence of the woods made me quiver; my insides shaking as I struggled to take steady and soft breaths. Though, the branches and twigs broke under my weight and the flames soaring high, it didn't let silence fall from its dominance over the thick air.

The fire that rose from me, I didn't understand it, nor did I want to. I didn't want to believe I could have been a possible murderer. Mother has suffered, and probably in intensive care because of me..because of my actions. I could have possibly killed hundreds tonight, these flames that rose from inside of me was a curse, a weapon to kill and slay.

My leg caught in between a few branches, causing me to be pulled back and fall onto the mucky, and wet grounds of the woods. A painful yelp escaped through my lips as my ankle stretched awkwardly, letting me crash against the moist soil grounds, "Gross!" I whimpered, patting the dirt off my arms. My dress was already ruined, the ends of it ripped and covered in dirt, "My dress!" I whined as I tried to smooth the expensive material.

More tears leaked as my eyes caught the fire, thankfully it only surrounded me, following me without spreading across the forest woods, 'This is all your fault!" I screamed at the fire. While it was happening before my very eyes, I didn't want to believe this fire belonged to me or came from me. Its heat still caressed my body, not letting me feel the coldness of night, but didn't let that comfort me. If anything, it only disgusted me, the fact this fire was able to give me comfort, but hurt others? Mother?!

My desperate attempts to shake the flames off my hands remained futile. I cursed at the fire that brought me nothing but misfortune. I feared it before, but now all I felt for it was hate. Hate that filled me with anger towards the flames, "Go away!" I screamed, pathetically at the fire before my eyes.

I had lost all sense of dignity and confidence as fear wrapped around me, only pressuring my hate for the fire to grow stronger.

I cry into my hands, scared someone would spot the roaring fires in the middle of the woods, someone is bound to see sooner or later. My assistant watched me like I was a monster before his eyes, and the eyes of many others watching me like that, scared and worried me, making me remember the frightened little girl in the marketplace, alone..lost and afraid. I hug onto my knees feeling sick and pathetic, my strong confidence that melted away in mere seconds, making me into a completely different person.

As I cried into my knees, letting my dress soak up the tears, a sudden sound of an unnatural wind caught my attention. I gasped, sitting up straight looking around. I squinted my eyes trying to spot what cut the air.

The sound of the air being cut through was heard again, from behind me, this time. I gasped, turning around trying to spot whatever was out there. The large whooshing of the air being cut at an unnatural speed set my heart racing, letting it thump hard, wanting to escape the confinements of my chest.