~ Part 13~ | Wondering

Start from the beginning

Cole made an odd noise in the back of his throat as he stood, grabbing Lloyd by the shoulders and steering him away. "That's it! Lloyd is coming with Zane and me to go see Pixal while we wait."

Zane's head snapped up from where it had been glued to his phone. "What?"

"Nya, keep them out of trouble until I get back."

Nya twisted the cap off of a water bottle and handed it to Jay. She raised an eyebrow. "Who's going to keep you out of trouble? Last time we were here you almost bought an entire wedding cake."

Cole made a face at her. "Details."

"Lloyd, are you willing to babysit?" Nya turned to her friend.

Lloyd was too wrapped up in gnawing at his green apple lollipop. "Hm?"

"Zane?"

"Can someone please inform me of what is happening right now?"

"I don't like this. Why don't you all stay here where I can see you?" Nya grumbled.

"Relax mama bear, I got this." Cole waved her off, already moving for the door. "Besides, if all else fails we have Pixal."

Nya remained dubious but reminded herself that it was Kai and Jay who got into trouble last time. Now that they were under her supervision nothing could go wrong.

"Be back in time for the interview." She told them.

"Geez, it's like you're the older sibling here," Kai complained. Nya flicked him in the forehead.

"That's because you act like a ten-year-old." She snorted. "Good luck with Pixal, Zane!"

Zane sputtered but was dragged away before he could protest.

*******

Zane wasn't sure why he was so nervous. He was always composed but there was something about Pixal that changed all that. Realistically a teenager shouldn't be able to waltz through the biggest corporation of dangerous tech without anyone noticing, much less a group of them. But somehow they made it through the main lobby, up the elevator, and into Cyrus Borg's private laboratory without a problem. Which was a little concerning.

Zane's mechanical falcon friend remained on his shoulder for most of the trip but as soon as they entered, he took off and disappeared around the corner.

"Woaahhh...." Cole breathed as he looked around.

Zane started to go searching for Pixal or Dr. Borg but a loud clatter made him turn. Cole froze under the icy blue glare of his companion.

"Sorry!" Cole scrambled to put the pieces back on the table. Zane sighed and came over, examining the disconnected parts before fitting them back where they should be.

"Zane?" The boy looked up to see Pixal coming into the room. The falcon soaring in and landing on one of the late computer monitors.

"Greetings." Zane gave a small tilt of the lips. "My apologies, I should've called you to let you know we were coming.

"That is alright." Pixal smiled at him, her green gaze widening when she spotted Cole. "Hello."