19: Freedom and where it lies

Start from the beginning

"I'm sorry. You looked tired; I didn't want to wake you up. You don't usually wake up this early... I was just finishing up to head back home."

He explained, caressing her hair as he did so. Looking around, Hani now noticed the trees that had been ripped from the ground, and the ones who had a perfectly shaped circle in their trunk. She took his hands in hers and with her fingers, she delicately trailed the bruises and cuts in them. Their eyes met and the Alpha was quick to find the worry in them.

"What were you up to, anyways?"

"Bonding." He answered, removing his hands from Hani's grasp. A sharp glance was thrown at him and he realized his explanation was not sufficient for the girl. "Ares and I were bonding. We have a lot to catch up to and I have been refusing him for so long, I'm trying to understand what abilities I have that I have been ignoring. I'm not sure of what lays ahead of us... but I want to be prepared"

Hani wanted to say something, yet, she wasn't sure how to put it. She didn't like the idea of dark times approaching - it was childish and naïve of her. But, truly, she didn't want to face greater violence than what she had seen back at the forest, despite knowing it was inevitable. The fallen trees on the floor frightened her, the memories they had awaken frightened her and how well she knew Jungkook's heart frightened her too. It was clear the sharp knife in his eyes, powerfully being shaped and strengthened in the burning fire of his soul. The Alpha was hungry for revenge, deeply connected with the violent and bloodthirsty side of him. Everything that was being revealed to him, only added more wood into his fire. Desperately she hoped, he wouldn't have to unleash that side of him; that they could move calmly with their life. She didn't fear him – that wasn't the core of her issue. Her worry and fear were rooted on the effects such a demonstration of slaughter and violence would have on her, on them. Would things change between them? Would it be worth it?

Ignoring her thoughts, Hani nodded her head at Jungkook. He realized her reluctance and doubt, but decided to tackle it on another day. Tenderly he caressed her cheek and trailing his fingertips down her skin, with his index finger he raised her head.

"Don't dwell too much on it. I just think it's better to be careful and to stay alert, that's all." Once more, he tried to comfort her but he realized it seemed to not have any effect on her. Hani scoffed in disbelief at Jungkook. It was impossible for her to 'not dwell on it' when she was just as deeply inserted in it as he was. "Let's just go back home, for now."

Jungkook waved his head side to side, chuckling at his grumpy mate. He grabbed the stuff he had brought with him and then, made his way back to Hani who had her arms crossed over her chest as she waited for him. The Alpha guided her out of the forest, his arms wrapped around her waist, while he tried to ease her frown with kisses and flirty words. Bit by bit, she was melting into his affection; occasionally, stopping in her tracks to steal a kiss from Jungkook's lips. In their own world they were, acting as if it was the first time, they were meeting one another; sharing cheeky compliments and affections, finding new ways to trigger an accelerated heartbeat or cause their cheeks to blush. Sadly enough, their little moment was ripped from them by someone calling Jungkook's name.

The couple stopped in their makeshift backyard, noticing a young boy that was running towards them. Hani recognized him as being a part of the group of wolves in charge of the border control. He appeared to be in a rush and somewhat overwhelmed and baffled. Immediately, Jungkook's heart accelerated its rhythm in his chest and his demeanour changed; he corrected his posture, standing tall and mighty, and his eyes sharpened becoming intimidating and attentive. The boy was breathing heavily once he reached the Alpha but, not allowing himself to catch his own breath, he delivered the message in one go.