Baby Iero (Frerard)

"Six centimeters!" Dr. Nestor told the couple, directing the words at Gerard, with an encouraging smile. She was standing with the nurses at the edge of the medical bed doing what they needed to do to make sure the baby was delivered safely. 

Frank pecked the temple of his forehead while he stood at the right side of his bed, holding his hand, "You're doing, good, babe, you got this." Frank knew what his job was right now and that was just being a supportive husband through this process. 

Gerard couldn't think clearly. His body ached from the whole pregnancy and delivery together. All of his friends mentioned how strong he was and he even boasted about it countless times, but he felt weak. He didn't feel like there was any strength left in him to perform the task at hand right now. 

He was going to bring a life into this world. A part of Frank and he, was going to be welcomed. Another life added to the population of the whole world. How crazy was that? Gerard's mind was going wild just thinking about it. 

"F-Frankie..." Gerard breathed heavily. He could feel the heads of sweat cascading down his forehead. He felt icky at the thought that Frank was being so sweet by kissing him although he was sweating. 

Frank eyed the doctor before glancing at Gerard with a sweet smile. "What is it, Gee? I'm here, babe, go ahead, tell me," he said patiently. Frank was always patient with him. Gerard could be screaming in his face and at the end of it all, Frank would he waiting for him to calm down and say what he needed to say. 

They were doing this. They were actually doing this. 

Months ago, Gerard knew this was real and that they would be parents. It was different from then to now. When they were telling all of their family and friends, he was composed and relaxed. Frank and he were picking names and he never once felt nervous. They were setting up the nursery and Gerard was fine. He couldn't even think straight when his water broke or when they were on the ride to the hospital. 

Now, he was thinking clearly. 

"We're really doing this.... we're going to be parents..." Gerard spoke weakly, the pain and using his energy being a lot for him. He couldn't not speak to Frank though. He was vulnerable and emotional at the moment. 

Frank chuckled, tears pricking at the ends of his eyes. "Yeah, babe," he moved away a few strands of hair from Gerard's forehead. It took one second for him to notice his husband's pale face. "Why? What's wrong? Tell me, Gee."

Gerard burst into tears. In his whole life, at this one moment he felt so weak. He expected himself to have more composure for this moment, but nope. There he was on the bed crying his eyes out like he lost someone. Maybe he was suddenly realizing that he wasn't invincible like his bratty soul thought he was? 

He was terrified. Today he had one job to do and that was to deliver Baby Iero. It wasn't an easy task though, Gerard was realizing. He felt like an idiot since Mikey had done the same thing he was doing. His baby brother got through it and that must mean that he could too, right? Or was this the one thing that defeated him? 

Gerard found his words after leaving Frank with nothing. "I don't know if I-I can, Frankie..." Gerard's voice cracked, his tears and sweat mixing as they streamed down his face. "I don't think I can..." 

Frank shook his head. "You got this, Gee. You can do this. You know you can. I know you can." He could only imagine what Gerard was going through. Funny enough, he was kind of the one to put him there, but it takes two to tango. 

Gerard sniffled, releasing hiccups right after. "I don't know if I'm strong enough, Frank..." He wasn't even ready to give birth yet and he was reacting this way. What was he doing to do when they told him he was at ten centimeters? Refuse to do it, get out of the bed and run?