𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

Start from the beginning

The older Flack sister didn't appreciate the growing schedule the Phoenix was getting. To Canary, it seemed like President Coin was using Phoenix at her leisure, no thought on how this might be hurting her sister. But most of the time Canary was forced to sweep her concern under the rug for the sake of the greater good. Yet some of these thoughts still kept her up at night.

Maeve sensed Canary's demeanor change and placed a hand on Canary's back. " Are you sure you can handle this? " Canary asked Phoenix, feeling a bit more relaxed by Maeve's touch. Phoenix didn't say anything at first, opting to nod her head instead of searching her head to find the right words. That was until the right words simply popped into her head.

" I beat the games twice, " Phoenix paused for a moment, remembering her state during the final moments of the Quell, just moments after she killed Cassian. " Kind of. " Maeve and Canary both chuckle lightly at her attempt at a joke. " And somehow made it out of the Capitol alive. I think I'll be alright talking to Peeta. " Phoenix reassured, not understanding that Canary's worries strayed far larger than her speaking to Peeta.

" I mean with all of this. None of the others who were kidnapped have had to meet with Coin or talk to Peeta. " Canary didn't mention the training Phoenix was set to have, knowing that it might be best to tell her that after she met with Peeta. " I just want to know if all of this is moving too quickly? " Canary asked, still feeling Maeve running her hands up and down her back.

Phoenix feels as though she's been asked this countless times, yet she can't remember if she had been or not. None the less Phoenix let out a defeated sigh. " I can't just be cooped in here while everyone else is out there risking their lives. " Phoenix began, her words making Maeve take her hands off of Canary's back. " You're not gonna be out there fighting yet Phoenix. " Maeve said, making sure to speed past the word 'yet'.

" But that doesn't mean I can't help. At the end of the day, I agreed to helping and dying for this rebellion. " Canary shook her head at these words, a part of her having forgotten the agreement most of the tributes made before going into the Quell. " You didn't agree to get kidnapped and tortured Phoenix. " Canary's voice was stern as the words left her mouth.

As Phoenix thought about it more the more she realized in a way she did agree to that. " The agreement's essentially over, there's no need to argue over it. " Maeve interjected, not having the stomach to see the sister's argument progress. The Flack sister's stayed silent for a moment, both knowing that the agreement made before the games was long behind Phoenix.

" You need to change. We'll be waiting outside. " Maeve said, with the two leaving shortly after. Phoenix looked at the fresh clothes and began putting them on. Her mind raced about what she would say to Peeta when she got into the room. What was there to say? Did they just expect the two of them to bond over their shared trauma? She still didn't know what was expected from her.

The questions still filled her head as she finished tying her shoes. Standing up, Phoenix smooths out the jumpsuit she was wearing before making her way to the door, being met with Canary and Maeve standing there. She could tell she interrupted them in the middle of a conversation, with them both turning their heads at the same time. " Ready? " Canary asked, brushing Phoenix's hair off her shoulder. Nodding her head the three made their way towards the room Peeta was being held in.

The walk was short compared to the one they took to see President Coin. Phoenix appreciated this, getting to skip the stares she got from the people of District 13. Walking through the door Phoenix realized she wasn't met with Peeta but with Haymitch, Plutarch, and Finnick. Phoenix stopped in her tracks, her look mirroring one of a dear in headlights.

" It's good to see you, Phoenix. " Haymitch said, with Phoenix giving him a small smile. Phoenix thought back to the last time she saw the District 12 mentor. With it being the final night before the games when he gave both her and Finnick gold jewelry to wear during the games. She looked down at her bare hand and noticed that it was gone.