Chapter Forty

The "..." means whatever was being said is inaudible

---

The entire kingdom had fallen silent.

A cloud of despair and anguish had settled over the once bright and lively kingdom at the news of Jungkook's passing and it made Taehyung sick.

All of the sadness and depression that had filled him before was long gone and replaced with anger so deep and harsh that for a while, he feared he wouldn't be fit enough to be a king to these people. And the sadness that seeped through the cracks of the sidewalks and the houses, wafting around the kingdom and etched on people's faces only added to Taehyung's anger.

Where were the protesters? Why weren't they celebrating? Where were the people who hated Jungkook and made his time here longer than it should have been?

Why were they sad now? Jungkook is gone and now they decide that they want him back?

But Taehyung knew he couldn't take all of his anger out on the people but instead, on the person who took the love of his life away from him. So, clad in a black suit with a bulletproof jacket, he sat silently in the back of his car between two of his bodyguards. He was on his way to the prison where Jungkook's murderer sat, preparing himself for death.

Until now, Taehyung hadn't allowed himself to think about the person who took his husband away from but just the night before lying in Jungkook's bed and soaking up the last of his scent and allowing himself to break down, his mind had wandered. He found himself thinking about the person convicted of his husband's assassination. And so the morning when he woke from his dreamless and restless slumber, he requested a private meeting between him and the murderer.

He kept his hands in front of his stomach, smiling slightly behind his mask as he felt the odd thuds against the inside of his stomach. Ever since that day he first felt his baby kick, the little one hasn't settled down yet. It gave Taehyung something to be happy about during these dark days and someone to talk to during those lonely nights where the weight of the situation was almost unbearable and the silence was too loud to think.

Of course, he had his mother and his siblings to talk to which he did almost every day, but even that didn't help sometimes. Sometimes, he just wanted to talk to himself and their baby about Jungkook and reminisce on those beautiful days.

Taehyung sucked in a quick breath as he caught himself from falling too deep in his thoughts. He shook his head slightly as he looked out of the tinted windows to figure out where he was at.

He sighed inwardly when he saw that they were entering the gates to the prison. He straightened his posture and fixed his mask as they drove down the long road towards the huge and dark building surrounding by a barbed and electric fence. He gripped the folder lying on his lap tightly in his hands. This folder would hold the truth behind his husband's death if his murderer cooperated.

When they made it to the front of the prison, more guards stepped forward as Taehyung's guards opened the doors to get out. One of them held the door for Taehyung and he thanked him as he climbed out and walked towards the other set of guards who all bowed and he bowed back.

The guards explained that they'll guide Taehyung to the visitation area and the criminal whom he's meeting won't have the ability to harm him as he will be shackled from wrists to ankles. Taehyung will have the ability to call off the meeting at any moment.

He would also be present during the day they sentence him to death.

After doing a mandatory search on both Taehyung and his bodyguards, the prison guards led them through the prison and towards the visitation room. Taehyung kept his face blank though he couldn't deny the fact that anxiety was slowly weighing down on his chest and curling in his stomach. He tried to keep himself calm, knowing so much stress could cause his unborn baby harm and he's already put the poor child through enough stress the first few days there.