the right side of my neck still smells like you

"Hey, Iwaizumi! I gotta head out early today. Don't forget to lock up, alright?" My boss shouted as the remaining guests left the bar, "I trust you with this place, but you know that already!"

I nodded my head and continued mopping up the floors. I scrubbed the toilets and reorganized the shelves of snacks and sparkling sodas. The TV was still on, playing a fuzzy static of midnight news reports. It served as excellent white noise as I wiped down the grease-stained tables.

Every now and then, the news would switch back to a segment on Oikawa and his "iconic legacy"; or at least, that was how the man on the TV described his career. When I looked up, Oikawa would flash on the screen, grinning right at me. With that polished, airbrushed face, he looked like an entirely different person. After spending so much time with him back in our hometown, I'd forgotten that there was this Oikawa: the one adored by all of Japan, glowing on the billboards of every city intersection.

My Oikawa had sleepy eyes and a smile you had to fight for, and I liked him better.

"Hey, what are you watching? That guy looks familiar." I rolled my eyes upon hearing the jingle of the little bell on our door. Couldn't they see that we were closed!? These fucking customers.

"Excuse me, but unfortunately—" Oh. Of course. That smug smile. "Oikawa? What are you doing here?"

"I saw you through the window. You've never told me when your work hours are exactly, but I see you're around on Friday nights. Checked and noted."

"Nope, this is cursed knowledge. I can't have you bothering me at work." (This was a lie). I would actually love for Oikawa to be around during my shifts. He would charm the jaded businessmen and divorced forty-year-olds; that's for sure. It would take the work off of me.

"Well, I won't bother you then." He took a rag and began wiping down the round tables. "I'm just here to help."

"Take a bottle of surface cleaner, at least." I smirked. "Stupidkawa."

He came back with an apron, plastic gloves, and a giant bottle of blue liquid. Ridiculous. As he scrubbed, Oikawa watched his own interview playing and streaming on the TV. On the screen, he wore an expensive suit, and he talked to the professional reporters and talk show hosts with this peculiar, rehearsed grace. It was seeing two versions of him collide in one room.

Oh, of course. Volleyball will always have a special place in my heart. This is not the end. I have many things planned for the future with my lovely girlfriend, Ainu. We can't wait for all of Japan to hear about this new journey ahead. Lots of exciting, beautiful things will happen, so although one chapter of my life has ended, I'm excited for the world to see what we'll bring to the table next. Keep your hopes up, Japan! I know I will too!

Oikawa furrowed his brows as he watched himself talk. It looked like he was questioning this alter-ego of himself. I wondered what "things" he had planned with Ainu. He'd never mentioned these "things" to me before. I grew curious.

"What are you thinking about?" I asked, almost instantly. The question no longer felt awkward or tense between us. It was almost as if checking in on each other was just a normal part of our friendship again.

"That. Me. On the screen. I hate it." He took the remote and switched the TV off. "I'm so good at lying. It almost scares me at times. I have no idea what I'm doing, Iwa-chan. Why do I even agree to these interviews?"

"Cause' you're getting paid."

"Fine, I guess, but I'm just waiting for them to replace me with a new face. I could see it happening. This is what happens. People get bored. They move on. I become nothing."