norwegian wood

Hajime, Mom's voice chimed from my unopened voicemails, we are so excited to see you next week! Oikawa told us all about what you two have planned. I didn't know you boys got back in touch. Anyway, your father and I cannot wait to see you. Have you been eating the vegetables I sent? Well, you should get some rest. You must be very busy. I didn't expect my son to be coming back home anytime soon. Well, I don't want to get too ahead of myself. We'll see you soon. Have a restful evening, okay? Don't sleep too late.

I held the telephone in my hands, staring blankly at it. Exhausted and sleep-deprived from my 11 PM shift, I replayed the voicemail one more time. My mother's voice filled my apartment. Then, just like that, it was gone again.

Ach, that goddamn Oikawa. What did he plan with my mother? What was he scheming this time? ARGH, he was well aware that I don't have all the free time in the world. Was he expecting me to call my boss and rearrange my whole work schedule...

Okay, breathe, breathe. Calm. Calm. Calm.

"Maybe, this is my chance to prove myself as a better son," I mumbled to no one as I dialed in Oikawa's number. "This is just a chance to be a better son," I whispered again, convincing myself of this made-up silver lining.

"IWA-CHAN!" his voice bursted from the other end of the line, erupting into my ears. "How sweet of you to call. Is this a nightly goodnight chat we'll be having from now on? How romantic would that be, right?"

"Shut up."

"And... he's back to normal. Okay, what's up?"

"Did you call my mother?"

"Yup."

"Telling her that we'll be back in Miyagi? Next week?" I wanted to yell at him, but my voice remained steady and calm.

"Yuuuuup." His jolly tone annoyed the shit out of me.

"Why didn't you call me before? I have work all week, and my relationship with my mother... Well, it hasn't been the smoothest. Why didn't you—"

Oikawa cut me off. "It had to be done. We're both homesick, Iwaizumi. Our parents miss us. C'mon, let your stubbornness go for once."

I groaned into the phone. "M'kay," I responded with sarcasm, "I guess I have to spend my nonexistent money on train tickets now... Poor me... I'll be starving for weeks."

"Oh, yes, about that. I already bought us two train tickets. I'll see you on Sunday. Shinkansen Station. 8 AM. Don't be late! Oh, and no need to worry about getting out of work. I talked to your boss today. I think we're friends now," his voice rang with that aggressive certainty. Oikawa always had his way of getting what he wanted. "Don't want to keep our poor mothers waiting!"

"Why are you like this?"

"Boo-hoo, whatcha gonna do? Cry because I'm bringing you back home with me? At least I'm not stuffing you into a suitcase... Hm, or will I!?"

"Hmph."

"Complain all you want, Iwa-Chan... but we both need some time away from Tokyo. You know that. I know that."

Maybe you're right, I wanted to say, but instead, I grumbled, "Fine. I'll see you soon, I suppose. God, I've forgotten how good you are at plotting things."

_____

Oikawa stood at the station. He wore a long coat, making him look older than he actually was. He caught my gaze, with that excited grin on his face, before I even recognized him. In the hustle and bustle of the Shinkansen Station, he looked more like a city man than anything else. It was as if he had outgrown his status as an athlete. He blended in with the sophisticated businessmen and fancy women, leaving town for important meetings and gatherings.