this is halloween

After a week of settling back into my Shibuya rat-nest, Miyagi had drifted away from my mind like a distant hallucination. What even happened? Was it all even real? The moment we got off our stop in Tokyo, Oikawa checked his watch, repeating things like shit, I'm so late, gotta go, so sorry, before calling a cab. I didn't know what he had planned, but in Tokyo, he settled back into being an "adult". We were no longer kids. He had responsibilities, meetings, being important—yeah, yeah, I get it.

Was it real? Was it? Yes, yes, it was. We were definitely in Miyagi, but now, we're simply back in Tokyo. Time to cut out your dramatic bullshit, I told myself as I rode the train alone. I soon got back into my slump, a series of monotonous checkmarks that included my bar shifts and other mundane tasks: grocery shopping, helping old grandmas hang their laundry, running to the bank to pay off my bills. All of this left me exhausted by 6:00 PM. I was no longer staying up all night, sleeping beneath the stars and telling secrets with Oikawa.

Then, the end of October came around. I finally got the chance to break my slump: Bokuto's Halloween party. He'd been planning it for many, many months. What can I say? It's the man's favorite holiday. This week, he sent at least thirty photos of his many costume ideas. First, it was Willy Wonka. Then, Spike Spiegel from Cowboy Bebop. David Bowie. Woody from Toy Story. Poseidon. The cast of Zoolander. Sexy Firefighter (this was roasted by Kuroo and shut down by Tsukishima. Akaashi enjoyed it.).

I arrived as Sherlock Holmes. I didn't spam our group chat the way Bokuto did, but I still spent a lot of time on it, perfecting every piece down to a T. The cashmere scarf, wool overcoat, and two-button suit were all collected from hours and hours of thrifting, ravaging through Japan's antique stores and my old neighbors' storage bins. Sitting on the train, dressed up as the iconic British detective, I felt a bit... powerful. Elusive, even. I was no longer Iwaizumi. 

It felt liberating... to slip out of my identity and into someone else's.

"HEY, HEY, HEY," Bokuto swung the door open, waving his hands and leading me into his living room. The décor was immaculate. Bokuto transformed his house into a movie set. There was something from every iconic Halloween film we all grew up watching. The entryway was lined with dolls, like the ones from The Nightmare Before Christmas. Classic prop items from Friday the 13th and Texas Chainsaw Massacre filled the living room and kitchen. He'd even taped posters of Jack from The Shining onto the closet doors. A few times, I jumped when they caught me off guard. Bokuto could very well be a set designer if he wanted to.

Akaashi held out a platter of gory desserts, tinted in red food coloring to imitate blood. "Cookie? Eyeball Cupcake?"

We both grinned. After not seeing him for quite some time, I gave him a big hug. He seemed to be doing well. Tired and busy, like all young adults are, but well.

People crowded the living room, dancing and popping bottles of champagne. Friends, new and old, slowly filled Bokuto's house. I recognized some, and others were new faces. Nonetheless, Halloween was nice because I didn't have to explain who I was. I was Sherlock Holmes. Not Iwaizumi... and everyone felt the same way. People I'd never met before introduced themselves as their characters and reimagined identities. Whether it was something horrifically specific like Hannibal Lecter or ambiguously basic like a pink fairy, people played their roles with pride, truly turning into their characters. 

If only every party functioned in this way.

The music shifted from "This is Halloween" to "Candy Shop" by 50 Cent. Bokuto was definitely in charge of the playlists. Wait, it might be Tsukishima. Either way, one was ironically devising the song list, while the other would jam out to "In Da Club" and 50 Cent's entire discography on any given day.

Kenma and Kuroo ensconced in their own little world, chatting on the black sofa, Kuroo's long arms around Kenma's nervous shoulders. They were dressed as Yoshi and Toad. When people glanced at Kenma, wearing that cute mushroom hat, he immediately dodged their stares.

Bokuto and Akaashi seemed proud of their dark angel costumes, and they both looked stunning. They had on tall high heels, black silk slips, and custom-made angel wings. If anything, they outshined everyone and our last-minute, thrifty looks.

Tsukishima came as a bumble bee (yellow shirt with black sharpie marks). He definitely threw it together an hour before coming. However, he'd attracted a ladybug. It was Yamaguchi, one of my new co-workers. Apparently, Bokuto had been going to the bar more often outside of my shifts, and the two became good friends. 

Yamaguchi seemed mesmerized by Tsukishima, and although he was playing it aloof, I could tell that Tsukishima had the same attraction toward Yamaguchi. He would've left the freckled-face boy if he wasn't having a good time with him. Every now and then, I would hear Tsukishima's rare laughter.

I circled the room, greeting strangers as my alter-ego. I hold up the vintage monocle to my eye, repeating things like "Hello, Sherlock here!" and "Let's solve a mystery... or we can dance... dancing is cool too."

Then, my phone buzzed. I was a bit tipsy but still managed to write out a reply.

[Shittykawa:] Happy Halloween (⁎˃ᆺ˂)

[Me:] Greetings, this is Sherlock Holmes, and I'm also wishing you a spooky night!

[Shittykawa:] Oh Hallows Eve. Wish I could be all dressed up right now. Best holiday ever.

I wondered why he wasn't. For some reason, I expected Oikawa to be at a big, fancy gala of some sort... or with other Olympic athletes, all of whom are excusing this night as their one opportunity to loosen up and have fun.

[Me:] You don't have any Halloween plans?

[Shittykawa:] Nah, Ainu's busy with work, so I'm just chillin' with Eevee atm.

I bit my lip and looked out at everyone around me. Packs of people, laughing and dancing. Everyone flaunting their characters' quirks and mannerisms. 

Bokuto told me to invite whoever I wanted. So... well...

[Me:] You shouldn't spend Halloween alone! Do you want to come to a Halloween party? I have an open invite for you.

[Shittykawa:] Fuck. Yes.

I texted him the address, and half an hour later, there was a knock on the door. I rushed to open it. Oikawa came dressed as Dr. Watson (Sherlock Holmes' best friend, assistant and, in some of the stories, flatmate)... We both had a pipe in our mouth.

"Sincere apologies. My carriage was late," Oikawa mimicked a Victorian accent. It had begun raining. I pulled him inside.

"Oh, dear! The rain! You are soaking! Thy coat is marvelous, nonetheless."

"Why, thank you, kind sir. Now, shall we dance or enjoy ourselves with an evening smoke?"

As he hung up his umbrella, the room had stopped to stare at Oikawa. I could tell from their open, star-struck jaws that some instantly recognized him as a famous athlete. Others were just marveled by his beauty. However, we couldn't care less. After all, we were no longer Iwaizumi and Oikawa. We were Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson, ready to explore the mysteries of our night.