when the fire goes out

"Trust in me!"

"But where are we going?"

"Just trust me!" Oikawa echoed back.

We climbed up the hills and down the valleys of our hometown's lush slopes, chasing after these final seconds of dusk. Sunlight slipped away with grace, but it left us marching through uneven terrain and stumbling on rocks. The crescent moon appeared, and stars slowly sprinkled across the sky. In no time, we would be lost in the dark, and helicopters would have to find us (which is what my anxiety told me). We could easily be those archetypal characters in an American adventure-comedy flick: lugging around our tent poles, blankets, and walking sticks in the name of exploration. In those movies, one of stupid guys always goes missing. Yep, that would be me.

I was panting, out of breath and physically drained. Oikawa was the merry-go-lucky trip leader, hiking without a breathless sign of exhaustion. "We're pretty much here!" he yelled while waving for me to hurry up. Shittykawa, why did I agree to this!? I wanted to scream, but instead, I ran after him.

Hands on his hips, proud and dovelike, Oikawa stood at the top of the ridge.

The view was unlike anything I'd ever seen in Miyagi. We were high up in the emerald forests of this town. In the hills, we hid from the rest of the world. Willowy branches framed the corners of this vista. Down below, the lights of our small city glimmered like a million fireflies. I wanted to catch every speckle. The buildings, temples, and roads reminded me of a preschool toy set and how kids built new worlds out of colorful blocks and figurines.

We set up our tent, laid out our blankets and pillows, and Oikawa began building a fire.

"You really did zone out during every lesson at summer camp," he mocked, "and boy scouts. and that wilderness training class our dads signed us up for."

"The woods leave me sweaty and dirty," I grouched.

"The woods leave me sweaty and dirty," he mimicked me in a grating voice. "Anyway, let's begin with some kindling. The biggest fires are created when you start off with the tiniest twigs and driest leaves."

I gathered what I could find, and we slowly formed an offering of decaying bark and woody stems.

"Cool, I'm gonna get some firewood."

Oikawa took out a hatchet and began chopping down the pile of wood we collected. I could make out his silhouette—lean and athletic. He blew out a deep exhale with every log he cleaved. Oikawa swung his arms up and swiftly, in a single blow, striked down. His arms had so much power, and yet, everything about his movements were gentle and calming to watch. He brought over the pile of wood in his arms. I wished I had his strength and agility. My body felt out of place in the woods. Well, I was out of place everywhere I went.

Ain't that hard to admit.

The fire grew. We blew into the kindling and watched the flames engulf the temple of branches and logs. It all turned into a sea of burning blues and oranges. Fire might just be the most underrated element of them all. People abuse it, using it to hurt others, but it has a simple role: it provides warmth and light.

We stuck our hands out to defrost our fingertips. While the flames danced into the sky, Oikawa and I did not talk very much, besides a few comments about the nocturnal critters beginning their day to day duties.

When the flames finally died, we went into our tent and covered ourselves in warm layers of quilted blankets. The wind rumbled like an angry old man. It rustled through the trees and shook our tent. The gusts were so relentless that for a moment, I prayed that a tree wouldn't fall on us.