to be lilac and lavender

"What do you want to eat for lunch today?" Oikawa held up our afternoon with a lot of small talk.

"I'm good with anything," I uttered back.

"Hm, okay."

"Yep."

"Hm," he cross-examined me.

"What?"

"If you don't mind me asking, what happened between you and Emiko?"

"Whoa, way to change the topic. Also, weren't we saving the secrets for tonight? It was your idea, after all."

Oikawa rolled his eyes and inserted coins into the machine slot. The neon arcade lights rippled above us. Every piece of decor blazed in an artificial pink.

"Fine, I can wait a few hours," he grumbled and refocused his gaze onto the retro screen. He was set on leveling up on this Donkey Kong game. I leaned back in my seat, watching Mr. Perfect lose to the pixelated characters. "Fuck this shit! I'm done with this stupid game! Okay, do you want a toy? I'm going to win you a toy. I just need to win one thing. Ah! Fuck! I'm so annoyed at this fucking game! I'm annoyed at this stupid ass gorilla lookin' fool!!!"

I took a sip of my beer and shot him a side-eye grin.

"Okay, the last thing I want is to utter another 'fuck', but for god's sake, calm the fuck down, Crappykawa. It's just an arcade game," I rambled and Oikawa smirked. "But to answer your question, yes, I do want a toy."

Oikawa gravitated to a claw machine filled with Pikachu plushies. Their yellow bodies were jammed in there as if someone had mass murdered a town of Pikachus. God, maybe this was the delusionment of adulthood. Where was my childlike wonder? Oikawa pressed his finger on the glass. "Oh, Yes. This is my time to succeed. I'm going to win one of these for you, Iwa-chan. Even if I have to spend twenty-thousand yen."

"You have that money to spend on this? Rich people baffle me."

"Ah, NO," he screamed. The toy fell out of the claw and back into the mutated pile of his dead fellow Pikachus. Oikawa put in another coin. And another.

And another. I waited as Oikawa placed his hands on his hips to keep from yanking all of his hair out... before trying again. Until finally, after 5,000 yen (which could stock my fridge for two weeks), he won us one raggedy Pikachu. There was a stain on it.

I named it "Pikawa-Pikachu".

This arcade used to be our childhood haven—the game-filled paradise we would run to right after classes and volleyball matches. In middle school, we mowed our neighbors' lawns just to save money for rounds of Pac-Man and Space Invaders. Today, this whole place reeked of wet cigarettes and cheap plastic. At least Oikawa finally won something. After handing the plushie to me, he was back to being his calm and collected self.

"Sip of beer?" I handed the can to him. We stood, slightly out of place, in the dingey alley behind the arcade.

"No thanks. I'm trying to cut back on drinking. However, I could bum a cigarette from you."

I raised an eyebrow and touched the pack in my back pocket. "I didn't know you smoked."

"I didn't while I was still training, but it's a bad habit I've taken up recently. Sometimes, I just need a smoke to ease up now that I'm retired and crippled."

"You sound like an old man whenever you say that." I moved the lit cigarette away from my mouth and slipped it between his lips. "Here, take mine. I've been trying to quit."

People we vaguely recognized passed by us. Oikawa mouthed a few throaty hellos. I waved to the men drinking and gambling next to us. Suddenly, a familiar voice emerged from the pack of brawny men.