the morning after

5 years ago, Miyagi Prefecture

It was the morning after, and Oikawa told me to come over. As I approached, Nakamura Ainu was just leaving. I gave a polite wave. She looked away. Embarrassment filled all of our faces.

"I couldn't do this, Iwa-chan." We sat in front of his house, legs dangling on the sidewalk. "I just want to be a normal guy again and live my life. You have Emiko to be with. Does she even know what happened between us? This isn't fair to her, to you, or to me."

Emiko and I started dating the week after Oikawa's birthday. It was the worst timing, but she insisted. I agreed because I wanted to get my mind off of Tokyo. It was a selfish move on my end, and I saw the crippling effect it had in his eyes.

"I should've knocked. I'm sorry, I didn't know you two were together, and I just wan-"

"No, it's not just that. It's everything."

I raised an eyebrow, but I knew the answer — deep, down inside, it was obvious.

"What I said to you while we were in Tokyo was the truth, all of it... but that's not what's best for you or me right now, and we both know that." Oikawa stared down at the asphalt. "I think we need some space between each other. I'll see you at practice, and we'll still be around... but I just need time to breathe again... I need to see my life as something that's separate from yours."

I nodded. We sat in silence for a long time. Then, Oikawa's mom called him back inside.

We said our goodbyes, thinking they would be temporary.

I stopped going to practice.

After that, we never really spoke again.

Funny, how the world works sometimes: how the smallest things could shatter everything.