this was how it all came undone

5 years ago, Miyagi Prefecture

This was how it all came undone.

With Watari and Kindaichi — picture-perfect student athletes turn wine-drunk fools — chasing me out of Oikawa's backyard. I sighed, realizing that I was locked out of my best friend's home. I couldn't get mad, it was never ill-intentioned. They were just buzzed and looking for another shenanigan to pull. The thump, thump of the house, drumming to the 'Japan Top 50' radio station, was too much for me anyway. Being the sober caretaker, always getting the short end of the stick, didn't bother me very much.

The night was always peaceful. This was fine. Truly, this was just fine.

I walked along the asphalt streets, barefoot and gazing at the stars above me. I counted every planet and telephone wire. From the edge of the cul-de-sac, the lights of Oikawa's house appeared as a hazy glow. If you squint close enough, you might be able to make out the silhouettes of our friends dancing in the living room. From far away, the rowdiness looked gentle... almost ethereal.

I looked up, and Oikawa's room was dimly lit. A soft yellow. I wondered what he was up to. Oikawa had an introverted side that not many people could pick apart at first glance. He was probably up in his room taking a break from the party. Maybe reading, napping, listening to music he actually enjoys. Recently, he had been playing Metro-Ongen and Mitsume on repeat: two indie-rock bands we discovered while sharing earbuds on the train.

Maybe I'd join him. I should head back anyway.

I thought about entering through the front door, but I observed the chaos of the living room. Oh lord, I was too sober for this, and they locked me out anyway. Then, I remembered the ladders Oikawa and I built on the sides of our homes. Back when we were children, it allowed us to sneak into each other's rooms without bothering the whole family. Our dads thought it would be a good idea, but the ladders kept us in each other's company from sunrise till' sunset. We were inseparable.

These days, high school and volleyball kept us busy. Our silly, little adventures were pushed aside. Responsibilities, you see.

This could be a fun surprise. I made my way up the house and onto the small balcony. Then, I stepped into the window and pushed aside the sheer, linen curtains. Then:

Oh Fuck.

Fuck. Fuck.

Fuck.

First, I saw Nakamura Ainu's flushed face, rosy cheeks. A girl from our biology class. I didn't know she was here. When did she meet Oikawa? When did this start?

Then, their skin. Oikawa's smooth, alabaster back looming over Nakamura's bare chest. His hand holding her arms against the baby blue mattress.

So much skin. And flesh. And nakedness. My fight-or-flight response did not activate, and I was left frozen-in-place, My stomach churned as I tried piecing together an apology in my head. Oikawa's eyes — brown and always bewitching — burned with an angry embarrassment.

"Iwaizumi." He chose to not call me by his usual Iwa-chan. His eyes could not meet mine. "Why are you still here? Please just leave."

"Uh, uh... I'm so sorr-" Usually, I would be the one making snarky remarks, a blunt comment or two... but this was not the time.

I ran across his room and out the door. Stormed down the stairs and through the crowds. Sprinted all the way home, leaving tears as trail markers.

[Iwa & Oikawa's Playlist:]

1. ミツメ - あこがれ / mitsume

2. ミツメ - 煙突

3. esper / mitsume

4. lily / metro-ongen

5. silhouette / KANA-BOON

6. can i call you tonight / dayglow

7. we're not just friends / parks, squares and alleys

8. overthinking / acid ghost