polaroids from the past

"I knew it. Not to be that person, but I gotta say it." He paused for a second, before unleashing, "I TOLD YOU SO! I told you this would happen," Kuroo rejoiced with that smug look on his face. It was his classic smirk, lips curved into a mischievous revelation.

"What exactly did you predict?" Bokuto looked genuinely confused.

"Man, you really do have the attention span of a goldfish," Kuroo spat back, lightheartedly, "but you are great in everything else you do."

"Thank... you...?"

The more I replayed my memories of the past few days, the more everything appeared like a made-up dream. It could be an illusion I would wake up from in 3... 2... 1, but nope, I was still awake. Perhaps, this was how all coincidental flukes work in this strange universe.

"So, what's next?" Kuroo added.

"Oh I don't know," I groaned. "What is next? How did everything even happen so quickly? Well, I guess all I can do is wait."

"Wait!? Wait for what exactly?"

"For him to initiate another time to see each other. He is the busy one, after all."

"You're so fucking stubborn, Iwaizumi. He already invited you over to his place. Let me drill something into that smart brain of yours: The ball's in your court. I know it sounds stupid, but that's just how these things work."

"Hm," I shrugged my shoulders, "we'll see. I don't even know if he wants to hang out again. Ainu's coming back soon, and he has a million things on his plate. I bet he'll forget about our encounter once life gets busy. I don't know. It's just a lot to think about right now."

"Fuck your stubbornness! I give up. You're going to die alone, and I'll be saying I. Told. You. So." Kuroo's eyes spoke a different truth, and it was one that carried a sly touch of hope. Then, he smacked Bokuto's hand away from the grocery bag. "Hey! Stop eating my Pocky sticks, you thief!"

Kuroo flashed his classic stink eye but instantly caved in to Bokuto's puppy dog face, handing over a fistful of chocolate chips and mochi candy. "Fine. Fine. Here you go."

In three seconds, every piece was demolished, and Bokuto's mouth was covered in blue sugar.

_____

Every month, Mom would deliver a box of fresh vegetables. It was always packed to the brim with local produce from the Miyagi region, and it was always enough to feed a whole family for weeks. As a child, my mother expressed her love in strange ways. She never said "I love you" very much, and one-on-one time came in rare quantities. By my late teenage years, I was always crashing on my friends' couches and never coming home much. I guess I never had a solid grasp on home, and now that I had fully moved away, Mom and I no longer spoke to each other very much. Yet, she still managed to do things like this. Sometimes, I felt bad for the time and energy she spent gathering, packing, and shipping these heavy boxes off to me.

It was as if these vegetables encapsulated everything she wanted to say but couldn't articulate; "I miss you", "I love you", "You are my son" were said to me in the form of packed carrots, sweet greens, and radishes. Sometimes, I found myself missing her too. I wondered if she missed me just as much or if she had any regrets. After all, there was a time before she became a mother, young and adventurous and dancing through life. I changed all of that.

Opening the heavy package, I could see that Mom was under the impression that I was still living with Emiko, my highschool girlfriend. The truth was, after moving out to Tokyo, Emiko and I only lasted two months together. I should tell Mom soon. Almost a year and a half had passed since we'd broken up, but I just hadn't found the time.

Today, the box was filled with sweet tomatoes, mushroom, lettuce, and collard greens.

The vegetables came with a note. It had more words than she'd written to me before:

Iwaizumi, my son.

Today, I found photographs of you and your friends. They made me smile.

How are you and Emiko? I hope she is doing well. Please eat these healthy foods. They will nourish your body. Don't go to bed too late. Call us when you have some time.

Love,

Mama

Inside the envelope, she included a photo of me and Emiko during a school dance, the Aoba Johsai team after our first-year match, and me and Oikawa as elementary school kids. I took the polaroid of me and Oikawa; it was of us on my rooftop. I remembered that day. We were nine. It was when our fathers built ladders for the two of us. Now looking back on it, they constructed many things for our friendship. Treehouses. Wooden instruments. Backyard forts. I should thank my father again.

I kept the photograph of us as kids and slipped it inside my wallet. It felt nice to have on me.

It reminded me of sweet innocence. The photo was a proof of the past, declaring, 'We are no longer who we once were, but we existed, we were there, and we had the time of our lives."

I wished there was a way to say hello to our younger selves. I would tell nine-year-old Iwaizumi and Oikawa about Tokyo's beauty at night, about Eevee, and how Oikawa grew into an even crazier, more chaotic adult. That would certainly make young Iwaizumi and Oikawa laugh.

_____

A week or two had passed since I last saw Oikawa. For a moment, I thought it was over. Then, my phone buzzed in my pocket.

[Shittykawa:] Hi. Hi. Hi. Hi. Hi. Hi. Hi

[Me:] Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up.

[Shittykawa:] You haven't texted or reached out. Why?

There was no right way to say 'I was waiting for YOU to text ME'. Kuroo was right. The ball was in my court, but I was too scared to do anything about it. It felt like playing a stupid game. Now, Oikawa's bluntness was calling me out. He was always so unapologetic about expressing his inner-dialogue. If only I could be more like him.

[Me:] Ah, sorry. Got caught up with life. How are you?

[Shittykawa:] I told Ainu all about running into you! She's happy to hear that you're doing well in Tokyo. AND she wants to invite you over for her birthday dinner that we're having this Thursday. Come? Please come?

I remembered Ainu. High school genius. Shy girl. Always sweet, but made infamous by becoming Oikawa Tōru's girlfriend. We never talked much, but I never forgot the mortified look on our faces after that horrible night. I didn't think she would want to see me again. Maybe, this was Oikawa's invitation... but, then again, he wouldn't invite me to her event if Ainu hadn't agreed.

I wondered what she was like now. I painted an imaginary image of her in my head.

[Me:] Will all of your rich friends be there too?

[Shittykawa:] Yeah, but we can ignore them if you want. Most of them are Ainu's friends... I'm just the weird boyfriend who hangs by the dog for the entire party.

[Me:] Ah. Yeah. I can see that.

[Shittykawa:] WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY?

[Me:] Hey, it was your words. Not mine.

[Shittykawa:] So... come? This Thursday @ 7 PM. Be there or be square.

[Me:] Ohmygod, why do you say that phrase so much? Will you force me out of my house if I say no?

[Shittykawa:] Yes. and I'll "accidentally" wake up those old ladies you live with.

[Me:] Ah. Fine. Fine. For the old ladies and the old ladies only...

[Shittykawa:] <3 I'm excited <3 (⁎˃ᆺ˂)

I turned my phone off. This back-and-forth wasn't going to be a one-time encounter.