10

Piece of my heart Season Four, Episode Thirteen

Piece of my heart
Season Four, Episode Thirteen

ESME sat in the office of woman as she booked an appointment for the...abortion.

"Are you sure about this?" The woman asked her and Esme looked up at her.

"Yes," Esme simply replied, "I've already thought about this. I'll come back in a few days and I won't have this baby. I'm a surgeon. I'm twenty four. I can't take care of a kid who's mother never wanted them."

•••

Esme stood on the catwalk as she clutched the railings. She tried distracting herself by watching everyone from below, but she just couldn't help but feel dizzy and nauseous the whole time.

"Hey, you okay?" A voice from behind her asked and Esme slowly turned around to see Jack.

"No, I'm not," Esme replied in a annoyed tone. It was obvious that Esme was still pissed about the whole break up thing, but she managed to somewhat get over it, "Meredith and Cristina made me walk like two miles this morning."

"At least your getting the exercise," Jack told her before walking away and Esme thought nothing of it.

Esme soon narrowed her eyes in confusion and slowly realized what he meant, "Hey!"

•••

"Ectopia Cordis—the baby's heart is growing outside of its body in utero," Cristina told Addison as Esme stood in between Alex and Cristina.

Mark, Dr. Hahn, Jack, Bailey and Chief Webber had been in the room as well as they looked over a case of a baby's heart growing outside of them.

"Less than 200 cases have ever been reported. Only a handful have survived."

Esme felt herself become dizzy a bit and felt her breath quicken a bit. Alex seemed to be the only on who noticed and he nudged her a bit to see if she was okay.

Esme sent him a small smile signaling she was okay, but it was clear to her that she was not.

"I was on one of these cases ten years ago. The baby squeezed it's own heart in the utero and died."

"He squeezed his own little here with his tiny, little hands?" Bailey asked, a shocked look on his face.

"Richard, you said there's a possibility of a diaphragmatic hernia?" Addison asked cussing Richard to walk over to the computer.