Chapter 23

"J-Jung-kookie... I'm sorry..." I murmured softly before I lost consciousness.

Jimin POV

As soon as I woke up I immediately groaned at the sharp pain in my side, my hands balling into fists around the sheets. Once I took in a couple of shaky breaths, I hesitantly opened my eyes and moved my head to examine my surroundings lazily. The room was completely white except for the brown curtains hanging beside my bed, supported by metal bars from the ceiling.

My body winced as I attempted to shift into a more comfortable position before I gave up with a sigh. Even the muscles in my legs and arms were sore, so I felt helpless laying in the hospital bed. After a few moments of just resting with my eyes closed, I heard the door creak open. I immediately turned my head to the left and pried my eyelids open as I watched a male nurse come towards my bed on the furthest side of the room, next to the window.

"Hello there, Mr. Park my name is nurse Woo! How are you feeling?" he greeted cheerfully. I gulped slowly to try and get some moisture for my parched throat as I quietly responded.

"...I-I'm in a lot of pain, but otherwise pretty good."

"Okay, let me just check your vitals for a few moments and then I can give you your next dose of morphine," he explained with a smile. I simply nodded in understanding as I felt my eyes become heavy again. "Oh by the way, you've had quite a few visitors today, Mr. Park!" I gave a weak smile in return as I suddenly noticed that the ledge in front of my window was filled with flowers and cards. They were too far away so I couldn't quite make out who sent them, but it made me happy nonetheless.

"Mmm...how l-long have I been out?" I questioned with a yawn.

"Well you arrived here just after 2:00pm and you haven't regained consciousness until now, so it's been about...seven hours give or take. It's nearly 9:30pm right now, so you must be hungry!" he exclaimed with a chuckle. At the mention of food, I clutched my stomach and felt it rumble softly.

"Y-yeah I guess I am kind of hungry..."

"Well don't worry I'll go grab something from the cafeteria for you and your friend over there. He's been here with you the whole time and refused to leave your side." I knit my eyebrows in confusion as I glanced around the room again, but I didn't see anyone besides the nurse.

"Wait, w-who are you talking about? I don't see anyone..." I replied with a slight frown. The nurse continued to write on my chart before finally injecting the morphine into the small tube that was inserted into the vein in my forearm.

"Oh, that's because he passed out on the spare bed next to you. I guess one of the other nurses closed his curtain," nurse Woo stated as he reached over and retracted the curtains from the bed adjacent to me. "He was stressed out all afternoon, so it's no wonder he fell asleep," he said with a small laugh.

My heart swelled as I saw my informant sleeping peacefully on the other bed. With the curtains back I could now hear his soft snores and I stifled a giggle. I couldn't remember much about what happened back at the hospice center, only bits and pieces. But one thing I do remember was hearing Jungkook's voice right before I was unconscious.

"I-I can't believe he's been here the whole time..." I muttered in disbelief, my teeth biting back a tiny smile.

"Yep! And if I'm not mistaken, he actually rode in the ambulance with you. His name is Jeon Jungkook, right?"

"Yeah."

"Well he signed all the necessary forms for you too then. It was kind of funny watching him call people to find out some of the answers," he snickered. I chuckled as I imagined Jungkook pouting while he tried to answer the health questions with his serious face. "They kept telling him to just wait so they could come down here and fill them out, but he insisted that he completed them..."