Chapter 1 ~ Sophie

Hey, guys! Thanks for deciding to read this story. Okay, on to the first chapter!  

"To the Mysterious Miss F!

Ugh—I'm already regretting starting this letter that way. But I don't have any extra paper, and crossing it out would look worse, so... I guess we'll just have to add it to my list of mistakes.

And I know you're going to think that everything I'm about to say should also be on that long list of Keefe Fails. But I swear—that's NOT what this is. I'm not trying to fix everything or save everyone this time. I'm just trying to make sure I don't hurt anyone.

I can't tell you more than that without putting you in danger, so just... trust me when I say that the powers my mom gave me are super bad. There seriously aren't strong enough words to explain how horrible they are. And I CAN'T control them—just like I can't stop my mom from forcing me to use them.

So... this is the only way. I don't want to do it. But I have to.

And I'm not going to ask you not to hate me. In fact, it might be better if you do, because I need you to PROMISE that you won't try to find me. My mom will be waiting for you to track me down—and since I know how stubborn you are, I want to make sure you understand who you'd be putting in danger.

I'm going to be hiding the same way the Black Swan hid you.

That's why you have to stay away. Well, there are lots of reasons. So again, please, just... trust me, okay?

And since this is the last time I'll ever talk to you, I just... I want to say that I'm really going to miss you. You mean a lot to me, Foster. More than you'll ever know.

Please be careful. Please be happy. And PLEASE forget all about me.

It'll be better for everyone that way. You'll see.

Love,

Keefe"

                                                                                 . . . 

He left me again. He left me again. He left me again, Sophie thought. She kicked a chair as she felt tears dripping down her face. How would she survive the next war without him? She would never see his smirk or his ice-blue eyes. How much would she miss his pranks? Sophie cried and cried. She would never see him again. 

She felt like drowning in darkness, as if one part of her broke down completely. Keefe. Keefe. Keefe. Keefe. Keefe. Forgetting him was like losing herself. She had to find him. 

Sophie quickly grabbed her imparter and hailed Dex, swiping the fresh tears from her eyes. She knew Dex was the only one who had a chance to know what was going on. Hopefully he knew and she could find Keefe soon. Sophie kept her hope high and waited for Dex to answer the hail before she drowned in the deep darkness again. 

                                                                                        . . .  

"Sophie?" Dex asked, surprised. 

"Dex, please come now." Sophie pleaded. She angled the imparter away from her head, knowing her whole face looked like a complete disaster. 

"Sure." Dex replied. 

When Sophie didn't answer Dex had a worried look on his face. "Are you okay, Sophie?" he asked quietly. 

Sophie ended the hail before he could ask anymore. She buried her face in her pillow. She didn't know how she felt with Keefe's sudden departure. If Keefe was here he would tease her for her strong emotions, but he wasn't here. He left her. He left her!