53. Besieged - Ethelston

Beginne am Anfang

Looking desperately to the floor, Ethelston released his grip. "And what of Aryya?"

"She recovers well, and I expect her to be eager to fight by your side, with or without the permission of the physician."

A chuckle pushed its way from Ethelston's lips as he recalled his friend and ally's endless resolution. Even if she was not fit to fight, he knew that Aryya would be expectant to stand on the front line with him.

"Anyway, my Lord, " Erdudvyl span from his presence as another trebuchet boulder crashed violently against the Ravenscourt wall. "I have a gift for you."

Ethelston stood upright, his eyes full of surprise and excitement, "A gift?"

As if the question was a prompt, Erdudvyl opened the door to two men holding in their hands leather armour. As if drawn to the smell of the newly formed leather, Ethelston strolled over to them to drift his hand across the tough, rigorous textiles. As his fingers dipped into an indentation, he looked closely at the embedded raven proudly standing upright looking towards the distance.

"I have no doubt your armour is sufficient; however, as Lord Darke, I brought it upon myself to commission armour with your house sigil, " Erdudvyl explained, "after some enquiries, I was informed that Mr Tanner here was the best leatherworker around."

Ethelston looked up to the man holding his newly formed armour. "The, Mr Tanner?" he asked, his voice hinting at surprise and awe.

The man nodded, his grey beard briefly touching the garments, his nose inhaling the rustic smell, "Aye, milord. It is an honour, and I would like to introduce my son who will soon continue in my footsteps." with the introduction, the man next to him bowed enthusiastically.

"I thank you both; your reputations are exemplary, and you honour me with your visit. I am surprised you ventured to the city in a time of unrest." Ethelston responded as he grabbed hold of Mr Tanner's son's wrist in greeting.

"I fear you are mistaken, milord; we are the ones who are honoured and proud to be commissioned to build armour for the new Lord Darke. As soon as Lady Erdudvyl contacted us, we headed for the city immediately. There are some final touches we need to make for the perfect fit; however, the Lady Erdudvyl was very accurate with her measurements." Mr Tanner explained.

Erdudvyl's smug little smile couldn't be missed as Ethelson turned towards her. "This is where I must excuse myself, " she responded, "I shall be awaiting outside to see the final result."

"Thank you, milady." Mr Tanner bowed slightly as Erdudvyl exited the room.

***

An hour had passed since Erdudvyl had excused herself. Despite the pride he was experiencing as the armour was being carefully fitted, he was continuously nervous by the constant thumping of boulders smashing against the walls of Ravenscourt.

He couldn't help but admire Mr Tanner and his son, who continued to work professionally despite the constant distractions; it wasn't until Mr Tanner invited Erdudvyl back into the room that all the fear of what was happening around the city seemed to leave Ethelston.

The strong smell of leather enveloped Ethelston's nostrils and as he flowed his arms around. He had never felt armour so comfortable as if it was like a second skin.

Hitting it hard with his fists, Ethelston was astounded by how little he felt from the impact. Any deflected attack would not breach this armour, and it would require significant force to cause him injury. Yet, he was still able to maintain his greatest assets, his speed and agility.