Rain

Edited.

Song: brooklyn boy - Jeremy Zucker

----------

It was still raining the next day, I didn't mind it though. It was nice now and then.

In Brighton, it rained often during the fall season. I moved here when I was 13 with my parents. They got a better job offer instead of the one they previously had in America. We used to live from check to check but with this new option, we live in a really nice house and were well off in our new life.

I was glad that they took up the offer. First, it took a bit of stress off my parent's shoulders, they were in a better mood sometimes. Second, it was a new start. No one here knew my past. The people I met could know me for who I am, not some fake personality.

As I walked through the puddles children splashed through the rain with their coats buttoned tightly to their chests. With every jump, they landed in a different puddle with smiles upon their faces as the water sprayed up at them or to one another. Their giggles made my heart glow with joy.

It wasn't a long walk to the bakery but I often took the route through the park to have a taste of fresh air.

The gentle breeze traveled through my hair as I dodged the large droplets from the trees above. I considered it a game that I silently played whenever the chance occurred. It was one of the things from my childhood I didn't want to let go of.

Despite the rain, I could hear the small tweets of birds chirping happily through the leaves. I always wondered what they say in those instances. Were they panicking and scared at the phenomenon or were they delighted at the light drizzle? I decided to think about it later when the baker boy entered my thoughts.

He seemed kind from our small interaction. He was shy, the only words he said were 'mhm' and 'ok'. I wanted to start a conversation but just meeting him was enough for the day. I would've been melting with any other communication.

My pace quickened as my heart lifted from the thought of possibly seeing him again.

I held my supply bag close to my chest as I ran the last 50 meters to the bakery. I inhaled deeply once I reached the bright lights that illuminated the bakery's name: Tubbo's Hive.

The whole theme was based on bees. I had even painted a few brightly colored murals upon the wall at the request of the owner, Toby. He was around my age.

I only talked with Toby two times. The first being when he saw my drawings and the second when he asked me to decorate his walls. I was delighted at his request, he even offered to pay me. I declined it, I wanted it to just be an act of kindness.

Toby is rarely at The Hive but I always heard a lot of gossip about him from the female workers. Their conversations always consisted of 'aw's' and 'omg' after pictures they showed of him to one another.

I was lucky to spot his face that one time. My vision is absolutely horrible yet I refuse to wear glasses or contacts. I wear the glasses if they were absolutely needed but mainly I just think they make me look nerdy. The contacts on the other hand, freak me out. The thought of placing something in my eyes scares me. What if it gets lost or I can't get it out? There are so many things that could go wrong with the whole process.

I squinted my eyes at the menu above the cash register in confusion. I wanted to try their daily special but I couldn't read it. No one was at the counter yet either.

The Hive wasn't a particularly busy place in our small town. There were many other chains in different areas that flourished but in this quaint area, they had about 10 customers on the weekends. During school days the students would order their afternoon snacks at the bakery and hang around in the booths doing homework. I reminisced in the memories that were left in my own mind from after-school study days and the multiple cups of lemonade ice tea I drank and the many bathroom trips that were performed. Oh, the things I pulled off in high school.

I was dragged from my thoughts when someone from behind the counter cleared their throat.

Bakery Boy.

"Oh, sorry, I was in my own land." I giggled nervously. "Um, could you possibly tell me what those items are? I can't read them."

My eyes went wide and my cheeks redden as I realized how dumb I sounded. "No, that's not what I meant. I can't see them. Uh- no, I'm not blind. I just can't see it very well."

The man chuckled and turned around to read the items.

I mentally kicked myself for the mess up.

"Banana bread, and our seasonal pumpkin spice latte that comes with pumpkin bread as well." His voice had a thick British accent that caused my heart to flutter.

His eyes traveled back to mine as he waited for my order but I forgot about the whole food thing as his ocean eyes stared straight into mine.

I was unable to speak. He took the words right from my mouth with one simple action that was considered polite. I treated it as if I had just seen a whole galaxy.

"You want the pumpkin one?" He asked, keeping my gaze.

I nodded and tore my eyes away from his as my bag slipped from my hands and crashed to the ground sprawling all of my pencils and drawings onto the floor.

"Shit," I murmured, which earned a chuckle from the blonde.

I quickly bent down to retrieve all of my supplies.

Nice going, y/n.

I thought to myself as my hands began to collect the papers with all my colorful imaginations on them.

A click was heard from beside the counter, I looked up to find the boy bending down and picking up the pencils.

"Thank you," I mumbled, embarrassed as I tried to hide the papers as quickly as possible.

"Did you draw that?" He pointed to the last paper on the ground that displayed the bright reds and blues of a butterfly.

"What? Oh- Yeah." I answered.

"It's beautiful."

My head shot up to his remark. He was smirking behind his curls that shield his eyes from me as he looked down.

I blushed a deep crimson and froze.

"Here you are." He placed the pencils back into their case and placed the case back into my blue and yellow bag. He stood and extended his hand to reach for my own.

I grabbed it without thinking as he pulled me up. His hand was warm and calloused. It felt safe.

The feeling was immediately missed as he pulled it back and stuffed his hand back into his pocket. He walked back behind the counter and smiled up at me as a small hint of color spread across his cheeks.

Is he blushing?

"Your order will be ready shortly." He said, leaning on the counter as he scribbled something onto his notepad.

"What? I didn't even pa-"

"It's on the house." He said, looking up at me then back down to his notepad.

"Thank you." I was a damn cherry by then.

I turned around, flustered as I walked over to my usual seat next to the window, and sat down grinning like an idiot.

What the hell just happened? 

---------------

Have a good day/night! Drink water.