Jared

Edited.

Song of the Day: Roadtrip by Dream and PmBata

---------------

I watched as he walked into The Hive, he did it on purpose.

I didn't even know how he knew that I'd be here. I never noted about the cafe ever when hanging around him.

When the jingle of the door opening made its way to my eardrum and the sound of him grunting, I nearly spat out my drink.

In one swift movement, my sketchbook was closed and back in my bag along with my pencils. I stood abruptly and grabbed my chocolate chip cookies and quickly walked behind the counter into the kitchen of the bakery.

Wilbur cocked his head as I slid down to the floor with my back pressed against the lower cabinets.

"What are you doing, y/n?" He asked.

I smacked his calf then placed a finger over my lips to signal his silence as my other hand motioned to Jared at the checkout counter.

Wilbur nodded, understanding the situation.

He knew a bit about Jared, well, I guess he only knew that he was my ex. But nothing else really, maybe just that he played baseball. After hearing about Jared he said I could come over to his workspace if I ever wanted to talk about it or rant. I was grateful for his gesture as it became quite useful on that day.

I reached into my pocket for my phone to check the time. It wasn't in there.

I facepalmed. It was still at the table. It couldn't be left out there, if Jared saw it, he would know it was mine due to the sushi stickers plastered on the case.

I sighed from my own stupidity and stood from the ground, slinging my bag around my shoulder.

"I'll be right back," I whispered and made sure the coast was clear before walking out back to my seat.

I exhaled with relief at the sight of my phone still on the table.

I grabbed it then began to turn around to go back to the kitchen when I ran into someone.

"Ah, y/n! Long time no see." A mischievous grin made its way across Jared's face.

"Yeah, excuse me," I said, pushing past him.

He placed a hand on my shoulder causing me to stop. I wanted to throw up. "Oh come on, you seriously can't still be upset at me."

I huffed and turned around to meet his cold amber eyes. "I'm not upset at you, Jared. I don't care anymore about any of it."

He laughed and shook his head. "So you're back into drawing?" He reached out his hand to take my book. I shifted away, into the view of Tommy who was at the cash registers taking an order from a customer.

"Um, yeah. What are you doing?" I asked, stepping back as he took one step forward.

"Am I not allowed to see your drawings? Come on, we dated, y/n. I still think we have a chance, our relationship never ran its course." His tone was deceiving and abnormal.

"It never ran its course because it wasn't a relationship, and I think you should go now." I placed my hands out in front of me, palms facing towards him.

"Y/n/n, come on." He grabbed one of my hands.

"Don't call me that and get the fuck away!" I yelled, yanking my hand back from his strong grip caused my wrist to strain. I winced from the pain and backed up into someone, again.

"Hey, do we have a problem here?" Tommy stepped in the way of Jared, protectively, placing his arm in front of me. His hand found its way to mine, giving it a reassuring squeeze. My heart skipped a beat.

"No, she's my friend, but I think me and you are going to have a problem. How do you know her?" Jared snarled, defeated that his attempt to get a hold of me failed.

"I don't think you're her friend." Tommy looked over his shoulder for confirmation. I vigorously shook my head no.

"Alright, I'm going to have to ask you to leave," Tommy said sternly.

"Whatever, bitch. I'm going to go get my food." He scoffed, glaring at me.

"No, I will have one of my workers get you your food, please exit the bakery now." Tommy blocked his path but maintained a calm demeanor.

Jared shook his head and strutted to the door, slamming it shut behind him.

I stuffed my shaking hands into the pocket of my Schlatt hoodie, flinching from the pain in my wrist.

"Are you okay?" Tommy turned around and met my uneasy eyes with his worried ones.

"Mhm."

"What about your wrist, can I see it, if that's ok with you?"

I was hesitant but allowed him to inspect it. I didn't really realize anything was wrong with it until he moved it in a certain direction, causing a sharp pain to abruptly form from my tendon.

"Damn, ok here." He ran behind the counter and returned with a roll of medical tape.

After an intense minute of him wrapping my wrist and me watching his eyes, he finished. They looked as if they were intertwined with stars, I could stare at them for hours if it weren't for the elephant in the room labeled 'He May Not Like You'.

"He's an ass." Tommy said with a tone of annoyance in his voice.

I burst out into laughter at his comment. He wasn't lying though.

"The next time he comes in here I'll start stabbin' shit." He threatened.

His words only sent me into a bigger laughing fit that had me hunched over holding my stomach.

"I'm going to get abs from laughing this hard, thanks, Tommy." I giggled, regaining my posture.

After I had calmed down I looked at Tommy who was watching as Jared walked away off into the park.

"But actually, thank you. I don't know what would've happened if you hadn't been there." I bit my lip.

"Don't worry about it, dudes can be dicks sometimes. Do you know him?" He asked.

I inhaled deeply. I didn't really want to tell him about Jared yet. I wasn't sure if I ever would but I couldn't lie to him.

"Yeah, he's my ex."

"Oh."

"Mhm."

Tommy seemed to be deep in thought when Wilbur called after him to continue his job. His face displayed a tinge of hurt and I wasn't sure why. I wanted to ask but it wasn't the right time.

"Alright, you tell me if someone makes you uncomfortable ok? I'll beat them up." He smiled lightly as I nodded and returned to my seat whilst he returned to the counter.

We're just friends. Friends stand up for one another, they squeeze your hand when you're scared...right?

-----------------

A/N: Have a good day/night! Drink your water, now. Right now. If you do it I'll give you cookies.