Chapter Seventeen

We finally pulled up to the school after a quiet drive . The sound of booming music could be heard blasting from the speakers in the gym. I stepped out of the car carefully, nervously smoothing my dress.

"Julia you look beautiful" I heard his familiar voice. The voice that made me melt in the hallway that very first day.

"Thank you" she smiled shyly back.

He took her arm and lead her towards the gym. A sharp pain of jealousy shot through my body. I tried to channel my inner Tay. But I couldn't shake off this horrible gut wrenching pain.

That should be me. I should be the one who has his arms wrapped around. I should be the one he's laughing at. The one he thinks about before he goes to sleep.

I could've said something. But I didn't. And that's what's breaking me inside.

"Let's go break some hearts" Kayla said giggling.

I gave a weak attempt of a smile and stepped into the gym. Little did she know. I had already broken a heart. My own.

--------------------------------

I swallowed and rolled back my shoulders. Channel confidence was what my mother always said. I linked arms with Kayla and Laura. Together we walked into the dance.

The gym was in chaos. People were dancing like there was no tomorrow. And let me tell you this was no ball room dancing. Suddenly my significant others (Laura and Kayla) had fled and found some seniors to dance with.

I began scanning the room for teachers. There was supposed to be teachers right?

I dodged some hormonal teens and stood over by the punch table. I then began serving myself some when I smelt something off. God some idiot decided to stick something in the punch. I rolled my eyes and put my glass back down. There was no way I was going to get intoxicated at my first dance.

I took a step back from the punch table and found myself an abandoned table to sit at.
Letting to of a huge sigh I closed my eyes. The music was making my head pound and the smell of sweat was making me feel nausea.

A warm hand touched my shoulder. Tingles began running down my spine. I opened my eyes and was met with Brian's blue orbs. Oh my lord how he made me turn to silly putty with those eyes.

I immediately stood and began walking back outside.

"Emerson!" He yelled after me.

I broke out in a run and let me tell you how hard that was with heels. Panting I sprinted into the courtyard and found myself a bench.

Once I sat down. I sighed. Why was I always running? Why couldn't me and Brian be happy together. Instead of me running away.

Scanning the courtyard entrance I didn't see Brian. So apparently he didn't follow me like a romance novel. Was I disappointed? Heck yah. Would I get over it? Probably not.

I sighed again. God I was always sighing. I leaned my head back and closed my eyes. Taking in the wet earthy smell. Wait wet? I looked up and sure enough it had started raining. Never mind raining is a understatement. This was a downpour.

Within minutes my dress was soaking wet. My hair had begun to frizz and I'm sure my make up was beyond help. I of course did the weakest move in the book. I cried. I cried for myself, what I've lost and my heart ache.

I cried. The tears kept coming like this wonderful rain shower.

"Emerson!" I glanced up.

His hair was in different directions. He must have been running his fingers through it like he always does when he's nervous.

"Brian?" I whispered.

He moved fast towards me and enveloped me in a hug.

I looked up at him. My makeup was running and I probably looked like a raccoon.

"You are so beautiful and I'm such an idiot for not picking you." He said softly.

"But Julia... After all our work. You love her?" I questioned.

"No Emerson I love you."

Before I could function his words. I felt a pair of lips against mine.His lips moved in sync with mine, cupping my face gently.

I broke apart panting. "But what about Julia?"

"I told her how I feel about you. She says she understands. I guess she suspected we had some thing." Brian said quietly.

"Brian..."

"Yes" he answered.

"I love you too." I pulled him down to my height and kissed him passionately.

Once we finally broke apart I spoke.

"Brian Parker, you really know How To Get The Girl."

Authors Note: Oh my gosh lovelies. How you get the girl is over. I'm really sad to part with these amazing characters and this plot line. But I'm also glad to see how many people have read my story. I will be having an epilogue but that will be up in the next few days. I'm sorry it took forever for an update but I just wanted the most amazing ending. Just be aware I will be editing in the next few days (nothing major) but just be prepared.

I just want to say its been a great 4 months on this story. I appreciate how you have stuck with me through my choppy updates and filler chapters and all that sort of thing. I'm pretty proud of this being my first story here on wattpad with 1.7k. So to conclude with this lengthy author note. THANK YOU.