How To Journal - Tips and Tricks with Nicole

Different types of journaling and journaling ideas:

GRATITUDE JOURNALING:

You can either list things you are grateful for, from big to small, such as being grateful you have food to eat and somewhere to live, being grateful for things that happened that day, or being grateful for the friends you have. You can also write down "I am grateful that..." statements, like, "I am grateful that I can exercise and take care of my body" or, "I am grateful that I am loved."

PLANNING/GOALS:

You can also use your journal to write down goals you have! I like to write down my goals for next month, the month before. My goals include things like writing a certain number of chapters, staying on track with school/studying, or working out a certain number of times.

IDEAL LIFE:

Write down what your ideal day would be, from when you would wake up to what you would eat and wear to what you would do and how you would feel. Write about your dream life, including how you would think about yourself and others, the friends you would have, and the goals you would set for yourself. Then, go and make it happen!

YOUR THOUGHTS CREATE YOUR EMOTIONS:

This is something I learned last year. Whenever something happens that make sus feel bad, it's not necessarily the THING/EVENT that's making us feel bad. It's our THOUGHTS about it! For example, if you gain ten pounds, that's not what's making you feel bad. What's making you feel bad is thoughts like "now I'm so fat, I'm so ugly, I'm disgusting," etc.

The way you can change your mood and feelings about the event, for example gaining 10 pounds, is to think thoughts like "gaining weight is normal, this doesn't make me a bad person, what can I do to make myself healthier?" etc.

AFFIRMATIONS

Here are some I like to write and repeat:

I handle challenges with ease.

I exude confidence, peace, and patience.

I am capable of being productive.

My worth is defined by me.

When conflict happens, I don't let it affect me.

I decide how I feel and how I react.

BRAIN DUMP

This is the most basic journaling of all. Just write down all your thoughts as you feel them.

PRAYER JOURNAL

If you are religious, you may find it helpful to write down your prayers or to keep a record of them and then see how God answers them!

I hope this post inspired you to start journaling!