K. Nanami - Life

You've always been able to see the monsters.

These terrifying things that followed you through your school years into young adulthood.

After getting ridiculed by family and friends alike, you decided to pretend they weren't there. That they weren't plaguing your mind every moment of the day.

It's not like anyone else could see them, anyway. They felt like a figment of your imagination. A childish nightmare that stuck to you like a moth to flame. They gurgled and eyed you every second you were outside.

It was just something you lived with, and continued to live with. They never attacked you, so you assumed they were completely fake through and through.

Then you met a man who could see them too.

You had found a job at an office near your apartment, deciding that if you were to live life with a sliver of normalcy, you would focus on getting a stable job.

It was boring at first, phone calls with all these rich people that you had to negotiate with, scamming people out of their money. It wasn't horrible persay, but it was boring. Though it's not like you expected anything different from an office job.

The day you got promoted was the day that everything changed.

You collected the things from your desk, moving up a floor and to your new desk. It was slightly bigger, and had a more pleasant view of the city. The only problem with the promotion was that it meant more work, you were getting paid more after all.

Another negative was that you ended up staying later and later as the days passed. You were always scared walking home alone in the first place, adding the fact that it's nighttime into the mix was even worse.

Still, you made it work. Rushing through the streets, trying to avoid looking at anything suspicious. Trying not to acknowledge the burning feeling of fear in your gut whenever you hear the snicker of one of the monsters.

One night, it was particularly late. At that point, you were debating staying there until dawn broke. Standing up from your chair, you stretch, walking leisurely to the window to grab a seat there. Better to watch the scenery as the sun rises then stare at your drab desk.

You let out a breath, resting your forehead on the cool surface. It looked like there was about an hour before the sun would break the horizon. God, you wish you had a book or something right about now.

"Why are you here so late? Or early, should I say."

You jerk, your head slamming against the glass. Reaching up to rub the sore spot, you turn your head to look at the intruder. You've seen the man before, his desk was a few yards away from your own.

He was standing in front of you now, a finger placed on the bridge of his glasses. He wasn't wearing his suit jacket, instead standing there in his dress shirt and a loosened tie. It was weird seeing him disheveled. Even his blond hair was messy.

"I just..." You let out a breath, "I thought that since I was working so late in the first place, that there's no point in leaving while it's still dark out."

"I don't see the point in that."

Your eyes trace his face, glancing at his chiseled cheekbones and over his drowsy eyes. They were practically painted with dark circles.

"What about you? You shouldn't be here this late aswell." It's not like you really cared. You just asked to keep it less awkward at this point. However, the company wasn't as bad as you thought it would be.

"I'm still working actually, I just decided to take a break and look outside." He takes a seat in the chair closest to the window, crossing an ankle over his knee.