“Hi Bo! How are you?”

“I’m doing very well, thanks for asking,” Bo called and I laughed, waving goodbye and continuing into the building.

The lobby was absolutely gorgeous; it had been professionally decorated. A huge tree stood in the middle, decorated with hundreds of tiny gold ornaments. Under it, there were hundreds of beautifully wrapped presents. I wasn’t sure whether they were real or fake, but they added a joyful ambiance to the room. The fireplace was lined with pine branches, and there were Christmas centerpieces on each glass table. Everything looked so expensive I was afraid to touch it. I was so clumsy and I would probably end up breaking something.

 I hurried over to the elevators, waving hello to all of my “neighbors”. I had met a couple of people who lived in the building. Most of them were normal, albeit very wealthy people. But there were a couple of celebrities who lived here, besides Isabelle. It was rumored that Naomi Campbell had a suite here, as well as Elton John. I hadn’t seen either of them, though I had caught a glimpse of the CEO of Vodafone, who apparently lived here as well.  I greeted Andy, the man at the front desk, before pressing the “up” button on the elevator.

I stepped into the elevator and pressed the button for the top floor. Even the elevator was decorated. The shiny gold walls were hung with little wreaths. I couldn’t help but smile. It was going to be a good Christmas.

Inside my bag, my phone began to vibrate. I pulled it out, glancing at the caller id. “Mom” it read. I pressed accept, and held the phone to my ear, swinging my bag over my left shoulder.

“Hi,” I said cheerfully. I was pretty sure she was just calling me to confirm the flight times for tomorrow.

“Hi Madeline…I--” my mom faltered. She sounded businesslike, which I knew was her way of dealing with bad news. I began to panic. Was there something wrong with my Grandfather? I knew his health wasn't great, especially since my Grandmother had passed.

“What’s wrong, Mom? Is it Grandpa?”

“No, your grandfather is fine.”

“Oh,” I exhaled, relieved, “Then what’s up?”

“Madeline, I need to talk to you.” She said briskly.

I bit my lip, afraid I already knew what was coming, “What is it?” I asked hesitantly.

“I’m afraid…I’m afraid your father and I won’t be able to fly out to visit you tomorrow. We got called in to work. I’m so sorry.”

I felt my heart sink down to the pit of my stomach. I couldn’t believe it. They'd both gotten called into work. At the same time? 

“You’re canceling?”

“I know its late notice and I’m sorry. But duty calls,” she laughed dryly.

I played with the hem of my sweater as the elevator dinged and the doors slid open. I stepped out and stopped in the middle of the hallway, which suddenly felt constricting. I tried to hide my disappointment from my mother, “Oh, that’s alright, Mommy,"

“But the good news is, I called your Aunt Lavinia, and she invited you to spend Christmas with her and Uncle Rufus and Isabelle and her guest for Christmas” my Mom said airily, like that was supposed to be better than spending Christmas with my parents.

I wasn't sure that I really wanted to go to Uncle Rufus' and Aunt Lavinia's home in Devon. I hadn't been there in two or three years. I used to go every summer, but the old estate was hardly a good place to spend Christmas. I'd never been in a home as cold as the one my Aunt and Uncle lived in.