fairy lights alternative. | saimami

Heya! As promised, this is the alternative ending that I made up for fairy lights!

Thank you so much for 11k, I actually can't believe it would surpass my previous goal, 10k.

Okay, enough of me talking, enjoy this one shot! <3

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hugged the pillow tightly, sobbing silently as the cold breeze blew, making me shiver a bit. Was it true? Did Rantaro dislike me? Did he put up a mask in front of me to not harm me? Am I the problem?

No... no, surely not. No way am I the problem... right? I sat there for what seemed like 5 minutes but turns out it was an hour. I kept thinking about what it said to me, I didn't want to move even though the cold was getting to me, I just want answers. I hugged onto the pillow, my mind clouded with what it said until a voice snapped me back into reality. A rather, familiar voice too.

"S-Shuichi?" They said, crouching down to look at me.

I look up, seeing who it was. My eyes widened, blinking a few times like it was going to do anything. They look back at me, eyes widened too.

"R-Rantaro...?" I said in a small voice, loosening my grip on the pillow. He smiled, "Yes, Shuichi?" he calmly said. He looked like he could cry, which made me upset. I frown a bit, glancing away to get myself together.

This can't be happening, right? This... this feels like a dream.

No way he came here, this is all unreal.

I took in a breath, still not making eye contact. "I... I'm sorry, for ignoring you..." I said, barely audible but the latter heard it. "It's okay, Shuichi. I'm just glad I didn't lose you," he said, smiling fondly at me. I couldn't help but also smile back, it felt so good to be in Rantaro's company again, I don't ever want to leave or be absent from him.

"I... Should probably tell you why I was ignoring you," I said, chuckling nervously as my scarf covered partially some of my face, but the red from my cheeks could still be seen. Although, it's hard to tell if it's from embarrassment since it is fairly cold outside.

"Erm... Well," I began, trying to think about how I can tell him without being too rude. "Ah... There's no other way I can put this so..." I said. Rantaro looked at me like a confused puppy, waiting for me to say what I was about to say.

"Erm... Kokichi... Was the-"

"Kokichi?" he asked, thinking. I can tell he was slowly putting the pieces together and then a light bulb or something went off in his head.

"No, wait... This all makes sense," he said, sitting on the blanket. "Those short conversations we had, why didn't I know it sooner..." he said, mumbling the last part. I look at him, confused. He looked at me, "When you ignored me... He approached me and started a conversation, I couldn't back out so I made him an acquaintance until he kept talking to me every day after school," he said. I could tell he was insulting himself for not realizing.

I scoot closer to him, making him look at me. We were so close, but I couldn't care less right now. "Hey... don't bash yourself for it, you didn't realize and it's okay," I said, suddenly feeling confident and cupping his cheeks. My cold hands slowly warming up because of his cheeks.

I could tell his face was heating up hastily from my action, I didn't realize what I was doing until I looked at his bright red face.

"O-Oh um... Sorry." I said, now it's my turn to be embarrassed.

"No no, it's okay. I like it," he said, the same smile from before as he grabbed my hands and gently placed it on his cheeks. My face immediately heat up from embarrassment, I can't believe I did that and Rantaro didn't mind.

"Um... Rantaro...? I... Have something to tell you." I said, looking at him. He hummed in response, opening his eyes, he looked like he was about to fall asleep.

"I... Think we might be soulmates."

Rantaro looked at me, "...Really?"

I nodded, "I... I get these butterflies in my stomach whenever I'm around you... And I can't think of any other person that has all these letters except you," I said, staring at my wrist, vividly remembering the letters even though it was covered up by my sleeves and coat.

"I... I've never had these feelings for anyone until you showed up in my life, and I'm certain that you're my soulmate," I said, looking down at my lap, embarrassed of what I just said.

The words that came out of Rantaro's mouth shocked me.

"I feel the same way too."

...

I woke up from the sound of the bell ringing. Groaning, I sat up, looking around.

Was that all a dream?

Yet... It felt so real...

I sighed, getting up and grabbing my stuff while walking out the door to go to the cafeteria. I still couldn't believe I dreamt all of that during class.

Ugh... whatever, it's not like the real him would pay attention to me.

I sat alone during lunch, my eyes keep wandering to the green-haired boy who was sitting tables away from mine. I couldn't help it, I didn't even finish my lunch because of him.

It was the end of the school day. I just wanted to get out of there and go home, but nope. Every day always had to be someone-

"Hey, I caught you staring at me during lunch. Why don't you join our table tomorrow?"

I eternally squealed, I can feel the heat rushing to my face. "I- um... s-sure! I-I w-would l-love to!" I responded, trying my best to act normal.

The other smiled, "Oh. Here's my number, maybe we can hang out after school when you're free. Bye," he said, waving goodbye before he left with his group of friends. I watched as he walked away until I couldn't see him anymore. I was so happy.

I got my crush's phone number! Could you believe that?! I gathered all my stuff from the lockers, rushing out of school to go home and tell Kaede about it. Too bad she moved, it's been lonely at this school without her.

Rantaro Amami giving me his phone number omg omg omg!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1k words
Aaaa I seriously enjoyed writing this! I hope you guys had fun reading this, I'm so freaking proud of this oneshot!