Not so happy campers 2 (1/2)✅

Start from the beginning

-DJ, can you have an eye on this for me? I don't want to get it wet.- I point at my navy bag, which I always carry around. Better be safe than sorry.

-Sure thing.- he puts his palm on my shoulder- I know you can do this, you're a strong lady, show them what you've got.

I hand him my bag with a towel, a water bottle, my small medical kit, and some other things. His words made me feel a bit better. While I talked with DJ Ezekiel and Harold jumped and got to the shore.

-Excuse me, Chris. I have a medical condition.- Courtney says.

-What condition?- Chris asks.

-Yeah, what condition?- I join.

-A condition that prevents me from jumping off cliffs.- She shrugs.

-If you know you can't jump, why were you harsh with, DJ?- I raise my brow.

-It's math, Alexandra. He weakened our chances.

-And so you do.

-It's different. Otherwise, it's a calculated risk. I've seen the other team, and I don't think nine of them will jump.

-How can you know that?- I furrow my brows.

-Really, Alexandra, look at those losers. I thought you were more intelligent.

-Yeah, and I thought you were nicer. Guess we're equally disappointed.

-Seems like that. Whatever you say, I'm not jumping anyway.

-All right, here is your chicken hat. So let's tally up the results. Hold on. That's eight jumpers and two chickens. We're missing three.- Chris says.

-I'll go.- I decide.

-As if. There is no way someone like you can do this.- Heather throws another remark at me.

-Someone like me, have you seen yourself?- I turn to her in an instant.

-Yes, and I look amazing like always.- Heather smirks.

-Yes, you do. And like always, you're leading in the contest for the biggest bitch around.- I put a hand on my hip.

-If you're finished, way down is in that direction.

-I'm sorry to disappoint you cause I'm not backing out.

I growl at her, run to the edge, and jump.

I can't see where I'm falling. The water seems even colder than earlier. I resurface as fast as I can. I landed outside the safe zone...

Campers start to scream as I swim frantically to safety. I feel my heart thumping like crazy and the rush of adrenaline in my muscles with each stroke I make to reach the boat. A strong hand pulls me up just a moment before a shark bites a spot I was at. I cough some water out and collapse on the deck.

-Chef, you saved me.- I roll onto my back and gaze at him.

-Of course, I did.

-Thank you.- I smile.

-Don't get used to that.

-Yes, sir.

He helps me jump off the boat to the shore, where my team is gathered. DJ pulls a towel from my bag and wraps it around me gently. I don't know whether the warmth of the towel or DJ's presence, but I'm provided with the illusion of safety, despite the death threat I faced a few seconds ago. 

The next thing I know is that my team starts to ask questions. So many questions that I can't understand any of them. It's all disconnected from my perception, all but an arm that wraps around my shoulders, silencing the rest. I nestle into the person next to me, allowing them to pull me into a hug.