Lᴀɴᴄᴇʟᴏᴛ

The sun shone high and bright in the sky, its rays peeking through the trees in the forest and warming the ground

The sun shone high and bright in the sky, its rays peeking through the trees in the forest and warming the ground. The saturated colours of the moss and grass that covered the ground, providing a home for many organisms caused the atmosphere to look truly magical.

Enjoying the fresh air, Estelle lowered herself to her knee as she picked up the blooming yarrow. Since early morning she and her brother were collecting herbs. They parted not long before as it multiplied their chances of finding the needed plants.

To be sure, the young maid enjoyed the serenity of the woods. Nothing but sounds of chirping birds and rustling leaves. But the peace was interrupted when she heard a terrible screech coming from Merlin's direction. 

She quickly ran to her brother's aid in spite of not knowing what danger lied ahead and froze when she saw him lying on the ground, an enormous creature with an eagle-like head towering over him.

Quite in shock, it took her a moment to register another man who was trying to defend Merlin. Without a second thought, she went to help Merlin back to his feet and tried to use her magic to stop the creature, but to her horror, it didn't work. 

As it screeched at them, she took a small step back. "Run!" the mysterious man shouted, and ushered them to start moving while the monster chased after them. 

After a few minutes of sprinting on the uneven terrain and circling between the trees, their legs ached badly. But their pursuer seemed nowhere near tired of the game.

Noticing fallen trees, Estelle pushed the men biggest trunk and together with them jumped behind it, hoping it would give them a shelter. She sighed in relief as the thing, whatever it was, flew off.

Between deep breaths, she shifted her eyes to her brother, glad to see that he was completely unhurt, before turning to the stranger. Her heart ceased when she noticed that the man was bleeding badly.

"You saved my life," Merlin spoke in slight disbelief, yet grateful. His voice sounded breathless since he was still panting from the run they just took, "I'm Merlin, and this is my sister Estelle."

The girl carefully moved the man's shirt away, revealing an ugly gash on his side, probably caused by the creature's sharp claw. She tore the bottom of her skirt so she could at least temporarily wrap it up that he wouldn't bleed out.

"I'm Lancelot, " he introduced himself, his gaze locking on the girl for a brief moment as she focused on the wound. It looked bad.

She lifted her gaze to meet his, only for his eyes to shut close as his head lolled to the side. "We need to get him to Gaius," she stated swiftly and nodded to her brother, who, just as she did, moved to throw Lancelot's arm over his shoulders.