Chapter Eighty-Five: Last Chance

Start from the beginning

Drink up one last whiskey
Head to the dance
Baby this is our last chance

So give me what you, give me what you got
Tonight
Pack of cigarettes
Baby I'm your light
So give me what you, give me what you, give me what you can

I'm the last pretty girl
And you're the last decent man"

I whisper the lyrics in Daryl's ear as Beth sings them, and I can slowly feel his ears heating up. It's definitely too much in public for him, and I am definitely feeling the alcohol.

"Tell me this song isn't us, Dare," I smile, kissing him on the cheek while we continue to listen to Beth.

//////////

The next morning, Daryl and I wake up pretty early. My head hurts a little from being hungover, but it isn't anything too serious. After we brush our teeth and get dressed, we head downstairs to get something to eat

"Good morning," Carl smiles at us from the kitchen before setting two plates down at the table for me and Daryl. "Enid and I made breakfast."

"Thanks," Daryl mutters, clearly uncomfortable, but that doesn't stop him from digging into the plate of eggs and potatoes in front of him. I can't hold back my laugh at him. He always eats like an animal, shoveling food in as fast as he can, stuffing his mouth full with each bite. He glares at me for my laugh, but he keeps on eating anyway.

"Listen, we need to talk to you guys about something," Carl looks between me and Daryl nervously. "And you can't tell my dad. Well, at least not until we figure out what to do. You know how he can overreact and go crazy sometimes."

"Shit, you pregnant?" Daryl stops eating to look up at Enid, who looks like she's really about to throw up or cry or both. I smack his arm to tell him to shut up while Enid shakes her head no.

"No, she's not pregnant," Carl rolls his eyes, but his tone stays serious. "Seriously, promise me you won't tell my dad yet."

"We promise," I say for the both of us, knowing Daryl wouldn't say anything if he wasn't supposed to. "What's wrong?"

"It's Ron," Enid mumbles, lifting her shirt up slightly to reveal a plethora of bruises on her lower stomach. Tears start to fall from her cheeks as she stands up, pulling one side of her pants down slightly, just enough for us to see the big, purple bruise forming on her left hip. "There's more, but I don't exactly want to strip down here for everyone, so..."

"Fucking prick!" Daryl yells, pushing his seat back harshly. He draws the like at abusing women and children. Like, there are a lot of things Daryl will forgive somebody for, but that isn't one of them. His dad was abusive to him and his mom, and he's still scarred from that. "I'll kill him."

"Daryl, no," I place my hand on his chest to calm him down and keep him from getting up and storming out of the room. "You can't overreact, too. Enid, how long?"

"Since the day I got here," she whispers as Carl grabs onto her hand tightly. It all makes sense now, though, from the way she gripped my arm so tight it left bruises to her not wanting to be left alone with him. I should have seen it sooner. I should have noticed, but at least he hasn't had the chance to hurt her since I saw her yesterday.

"I just have to ask first: so you do love Carl, right?" I can't help myself. I was getting really sad at the thought of them not being together.

"Yes, of course I love Carl," Enid's eyes are sad, but she smiles at the boy holding her hand. "I would have never done something like that to him on purpose."