Sweet On You- Sweet Pea

Y/N was new to Riverdale. She didn't want to be the center of attention or the thing everyone talked about. So she took the side doors into Riverdale High. She got there early enough to avoid most people, to make it to the office and get her schedule before Principal Weatherbee could assign anyone to be her fake friend for the day. The secretary gave her a map of the school so she didn't have to ask for help looking for her classes. Y/N walked through her schedule a few times before the halls filled with judging eyes. She memorized her locker and combination within her first few tries.
It was the first day of classes after summer break. Everyone would be so busy catching up, they wouldn't notice her and she could sink into the background where she liked to stay. Friends were complicated, so she kept none when possible. No drama of other peoples lives, meaning nothing to talk about, meaning she didn't need friends to begin with. Y/N wasn't bullied or picked on, she was just.. there. That's how she liked it. She knew she wasn't ugly. Frankly, the opposite. So she wore oversized sweaters and hoodies no matter how hot it was outside. She didn't give anyone anything to stare at and that made her blend into the shadows all the more.
In homeroom, she sat in the middle, not the back. Cool kids liked the back, smart kids liked the front. In the middle, she was just another body taking up another desk. She kept her eyes down and her face neutral. Try too hard to hide and they'll see you. Stand out and they'll see you. The school bell shrilled Y/N out of her thoughts as desks filled with students in the previously empty classroom. The teacher introduced herself and began to take roll of the students in her class. She matched voices to names as the other teens muttered "here" and "present". She didn't need faces to know who someone was.

"Y/N L/N?" The teacher called.

"Here." She didn't look up and she didn't look around. The teacher moved on.

"Animal Farm?" A whisper from her right caused her to turn her head. Jughead Jones. She didn't know his face, but she recognized his voice, no matter how quiet he spoke. He gestured to the worn out paperback on top of her binder.

"It's a good book." She muttered back. The last thing she wanted was for the teacher to hear her and call her out in front of everyone, so she turned back to the board. Jughead took the hint, not saying anymore. He still wanted to talk to her though. Knowing Riverdale inside and out was his thing, and he knew she was knew because he didn't know her.

"I have to go meet Mr. Weatherbee about something, so the rest of class is free for you. Just keep it down." The teacher spoke, rising from her desk and exiting the room. The door shutting behind her was like a universal sign for desks to be moved and voices to bounce off the walls. Jughead didn't have any of his usual friends in his homeroom this year, so he turned his attention to Y/N, who already turned her attention to the aforementioned book.

"Usually don't see people reading that for fun." He just wanted to know her.

"It's the first book on the syllabus for my AP English class." Was all Y/N said. However it was her own copy and she was sure with how worn and frayed the cover was that Jughead could tell she'd read it enough times to know it by heart.

"Getting ahead?"

"If I do every assignment on the syllabus that I can, then it's less for me to stress over later. This essay is the only thing I haven't done." Which was true. Y/N had done every available assignment for every one of her classes over the summer the moment the teachers emailed out their syllabi.

"Wait, seriously? You do that essay then you have no other assignments to do for any of your classes for the rest of the year?" Jughead couldn't decide if this girl was genius or insane. Maybe both.

"Yeah. Other than any randomly assigned projects and homework assignments teachers decide to give that weren't on the syllabus." Y/N had enough free time for it. Her parents travelled for work a lot and she didn't have friends to distract her over the summer, so she was more productive than most people you'd meet.