The Him Before Her**- Chuck Clayton (2)

A/N: sorry for the lack of updates. Had a baby. Infants make it hard to write every day like I was.

Have some overdue Chuck smut.

~

Y/N sat on the edge of Chuck's bed, her packed bag pressed against her ankle. She cared for him. No matter how much she wanted to get in a taxi and never see him again, she knew she couldn't do that. Not to him. She wasn't heartless. The click of the door being opened brought her out of her thoughts and she put her hands in her lap. A sigh of relief escaped her lips when it wasn't Chuck that entered. She wasn't ready for that conversation.

"Do you want to talk about today?" Chuck's dad leaned against the doorframe. He'd always been more like a father to her, ever since she'd met him. Even more so now. His arms crossed, his eyes gentle. He wasn't judging her and he didn't seem upset that she wanted to leave his son.

"You knew Chuck lied to me. Why didn't you ever tell me the truth?" Y/N asked softly. She mindlessly fiddled with the charm bracelet Chuck had gotten her for her birthday a few months ago.

"It wasn't my place. Chuck makes his own decisions. Besides, you were good for him. And he was good for you. I remember first meeting you. Y/N, you were so quiet, like you were holding back parts of yourself. And every time I saw you after that, you were so open and carefree and laughing. And happy." He moved to sit beside her. He didn't know what happened, but he knew how much Chuck loved her and he was hoping to stall her long enough for him to get home and talk to her himself.

"Because he makes me happy. These girls stopped me in the restroom at Pop's today. They listed all these horrible things he had done, and how he used to treat these girls and-"

"Has he ever treated you that way?"

"Well, no, but-"

"You've been together almost a year, Y/N. This is the longest relationship my son has ever had. Yes, I'm not proud of his actions towards women in the past. He made some stupid mistakes. But anything he ever had with any of those girls never lasted more than a week. It's been almost a year for you. That right there should tell you that he'd never hurt you. That boy worships the ground you walk on, even if you don't see it. God, when he got in the car outside the coffee shop, after he met you. He would not shut up." Y/N looked up at him quizzically, only to meet honest eyes and a genuine smile. He was enjoying sharing things his son would probably find embarrassing.

"Really?"

"Oh yeah. The whole ride home, he couldn't stop talking about the beautiful girl that took his breath away and how badly he wanted to see her again." Coach Clayton laughed softly. "It's one of my favorite memories. Out of all of Chuck's accomplishments and trophies and winning games, I'd never seen him as happy as he was sitting there in the passenger seat rambling on about you. Every time you text him he cracked a smile and of course I made fun of him for it. But inside, I was smiling like an idiot too. Because I'd finally seen genuine happiness in my son and you hadn't even started dating yet." Y/N wiped salty tears from her cheeks as he spoke.

"He didn't tell me any of that." She sniffled.

"What teen boy tells the girl he likes that she's got him wrapped around her finger just by entering a room?" She laughed at that.

"Yeah, I guess you've got a point."

"Just," he sighed. "Don't run out on him? Let him show you all this himself. I know he lied, and he kept some pretty heavy stuff from you, but imagine him telling you all of that on your first date. Would you have called him after? Would you have risked seeing him again if you thought he was just going to use you as points for some stupid book?" At that, he left the room and the door clicked shut once again.