Chapter Two: It Happened So Fast

          It all happened so fast. One second I was standing near the pool watching the boys swimming and then the next thing I know, I’m inside the pool pulling Blake out of the water.

          “Dude, what happened?” Tyler asked as I sat beside Blake who was breathing heavily.

          “My knee! I can’t feel my fucking knee! I must have pulled something when I was kicking off!” Blake hissed in pain.

          “Call 911.” I said shakily, trying to stay calm for him as someone went to the locker room.

          “Thanks Bran.” Blake said quietly as he reached over and gave me a hug. I hugged him back. 

          I stood watching the bright red and white illuminateup the night sky as the EMTs put Blake into the back of the ambulance.

          “Brandy!” One of the EMT’s called out. I walked up to the truck and looked up at the man who called my name.

          “Yes? I questioned.

          “Blake wants you to go with him to the E.R. since his family isn’t here.”  The man said with a smile as he pulled me into the back of the ambulance.

          “You can sit there!” The guy said as he slammed the doors shut. I sat down next to Blake and watched as the EMTs worked on Blake’s leg.

          “Shit!” Blake hissed out as the EMTs moved his leg. I grabbed his hand, that was lying out of the covers they had placed over him and squeezed it. Blake looked at me and smiled weakly. I smiled back; they were pulling Blake out of the ambulance and into the E.R. I jumped out of the ambulance and followed the two men into Beach View Hospital.

          I anxiously waited for the doctors to come out and tell me what happened to Blake.

          “Brandy!” I heard a lady call from down the corridor. I turned my head and saw Mr. and Mrs. Wolfe and Mickey, Blake’s little brother.

          “Hi, Mr. and Mrs. Wolfe.” I smiled.

          “Thank you for calling us! Sorry it took so long to get here, we were out at dinner and Mickey was with some friends. Have the doctors said anything?” Mrs. Wolfe questioned.

          “Oh it’s okay, and no they haven’t. He’s been back there for an hour and they haven’t said a word. I’m beginning to worry.” I sighed.

          “Are you Mr. and Mrs. Wolfe?” A man asked. We all turned and saw Dr. White standing in front of us.

          “Yes we are.” Mr. Wolfe said.

          “Okay, well he’s gonna need surgery on his knee. He tore his ligaments and his cartilage.” Dr. White told them with a sigh. Oh no, he won’t be able to swim. Swimming is his passion, along with Chorus and playing guitar. 

          “Oh my, will he be okay?” Mrs. Wolfe asked the doctor.

          “Yes, he should be fine. We want to keep him overnight just to see how he does. We will put him in a brace until he gets in for surgery.” The doctor told us.

          “Will he ever be able to swim again?” I asked the doctor.

          “He should be back to swimming in about six weeks, after his surgery.” Doctor White told us. “You can go see him now. We gave him some pain killers, just so you know.” The doctor smiled.

          “Tell Blake, I’ll see him soon.” I told Mrs. Wolfe.

          “Dear, you can come back with us.” She smiled. I smiled and followed them into the main part of the hospital. Once we got to his room I sat down in a chair and let his family go in first and sent a text to my mom letting her know where I was and what I was doing.  

          “Mom, Blake got hurt at practice so I’m at the hospital with him. I’ll see you tomorrow night. Love You.” I typed a text message to my mom. I stared at the brown door that kept Blake hidden from me, from the world, as I waited for a reply from my mom.

          “Oh my gosh! What happened?! Tell Mary to call me, and be safe. I love you.” I sighed as I read the text from my mom.

          “He’s asking for you, hon.” Mrs. Wolfe smiled. “We’re heading home; Mickey’s bed time was two hours ago.” Mrs. Wolfe added on as he pointed to Mr. Wolfe who was holding a sleeping Mickey.   

          “Oh okay. Mrs. Wolfe, my mom would like you to call her. She’s really worried about Blake.” I sighed as I pointed toward the brown door that hid him from the world. Mrs. Wolfe nodded and gave me a quick hug and began towards the exit.

          “Thank you for being with him. It means a lot to us.” Mr. Wolfe told me with a smile. I smiled back and watched them leave before I walked in. I knocked and opened the door ever so lightly.

          “Come in.” I heard Blake call. I smiled and walked in.

          “Hey.” I whispered as I saw his leg in a brace. I pulled up the closest chair and sat down next to him.

          “No, lay with me.” Blake whispered as he grabbed my wrist before I sat down. I looked over at him and noticed that his bright blue sea green eyes made the dark room seem bright. He smiled at me and I smiled back as I lay down next to him and faced him.

“Thank you for everything, Brandy.” Blake said with a sweet smile. I smiled back and noticed how close I really was to him. I could see where the blue turned to green in his eyes. I could see every single stubble of black hair on his chin. I smiled.

          “You’re welcome, Blake.” I closed my eyes and took in his scent of chlorine and ocean. I smiled and opened my eyes when I felt Blake’s warm hand find mine and he interlaced his fingers with mine. I leaned over and kissed his cheek, smiling even wider when I saw him blush slightly and his face light up with memories from when we were little.

                “See, it’s just like old times.” I said quietly. We sat in a comfortable silence for a while before I decided to speak up again.

“They said you could swim again in about six weeks.” I sighed as I watched him take a deep breath.

          “I hope I still know how, by then.” Blake said with a smile. I smiled back and inched closer to him, to his warmth. “At least I still have chorus and my guitar.” Blake laughed, a deep melodic laugh, which I’ve always loved to listen to.

          “Blake, you always know how to make me smile.” I said and inched closer again.

          “That’s my duty, Bran.” He cooed in my ear, sending tingles down my spine.

          “Blake have you ever had a relationship with a girl like James and Taylor’s relationship?” I asked as I rested my head on his chest.

          “I haven’t had a relationship like theirs, but I like a girl as much as James likes Taylor.” Blake said, his deep voice rattling my chest.

          “Well she’s a lucky girl.” I sighed.

          “She is a very lucky girl and you should know her very well, Bran.” Blake said placing a kiss on my forehead. “So, what’s up with you and West?” Blake added on as he stroked my hair from the roots to the ends.

          “Nothing, he’s too crazy for me.” I told Blake, whose breathing had relaxed. I looked up and notice he was asleep. I smiled and inched a little closer to him and kissed his collarbone, and closed my eyes and soon fell asleep in Blake’s arms.