Deja vu

Phoebe stands shivering as James and Sirius bicker, feeling a strong sense of deja vu.

"Let's take the train," James argues, frowning at his friend. Sirius balks and says incredulously, "no way! Let's apparate."

"Phoebe gets sick when she apparates."

"She's scared of Trains."

"Um," Phoebe pipes up, drawing the boys attention. "She is right here. And she thinks we should just apparate and get it over with."

Sirius smirks triumphantly while James scowls at his girlfriend, slightly put off by her choosing Sirius' side. His frown changes to a triumphant smile when she adds,

"But James is doing it, not you Sirius."

"Ha!" James cries, puffing out his chest. Phoebe chuckles quietly at her boyfriend, stifling more laughter when Sirius looks at her irritably

Sirius groans and rolls his eyes, muttering, "Fine. Let's get this over with."

"Not so eager now, Padfoot?" James teases, reaching for Phoebe's hand. She smiles gratefully, standing on her toes to press a kiss to his cheek. James' teasing manner softens at the sight of her smile, glad that it was getting easier for her everyday. Today however, she was nervous. Nervous to expand her bubble, even though it was only to include two of the nicest people she'd ever met.

Sirius grabs her other hand and grunts for James to get a move on. The crew are suddenly vacuumed through space, their bodies bending and flexing like rubber until it feels like they're pulled through a tube and out onto the Potter's front lawn. They land rather tidily, nothing like they had last time they were here for the holidays. Phoebe feels her stomach turn, but takes a deep breath and wills it to go away.

"Alright, Bee?" James asks, looking down at her nervously. Sirius joins in on the observation, stating worriedly, "Let's get you something to eat."

She wrinkles her nose, the nausea returning at the thought of eating. Eating had been the last thing on her mind since her mother's death. And it was beginning to show, much to the concern of Sirius and James.

"Can we talk about food later? I'm fucking exhausted."

"I'll bet you are!"

Phoebe freezes at the familiar voice, blushing furiously at the crass words that Fleamont Potter just heard from her mouth. What an impression.

"Mr. Potter, I'm so—"

James snickers from beside her. She scowls and smacks him upside the head, making Sirius laugh loudly.

"I'm so sorry," She finishes while James rubs his skull, sending her a pouty look. She rolls her eyes and smiles nervously as Fleamont laughs,

"Phoebe, please do not apologize. Come, let's get inside before we all freeze."

The older wizard leads the way into the warmth of the Potter house, smiling at the boys and the Veela as they stomp their feet to free them of snow and hang up their coats politely.

"You've whipped them into shape, haven't you?" He asks Phoebe cheekily. She can't help but grin and nod, her nervousness slipping away. This was the Potters and they were safe, unassuming people. She relaxes into the welcoming atmosphere. That quickly changes when she's abruptly tugged into the warm embrace of Euphemia Potter.

"Oh, Phoebe," She chokes out, sniffling as she hugs the frail girl. Phoebe stiffens, eyes practically bugging out of her head as the woman continues, "I'm so sorry for your loss."

Gingerly, she pats the woman's back. Sirius and James say rather quickly in unison, "Mum!"

The woman reluctantly releases the Veela from the bear hug, saying defensively, "What?!"

"You're fine, Mia. They boys just don't want me to set anything on fire." Phoebe says playfully, a earning curious look from Fleamont. He nearly asks but James quickly shakes his head, piping up,

"Are you going to greet your sons, woman?!"

Euphemia sighs and pulls her boys into a hug, saying quietly so Phoebe can't hear, "Did I just mess up?"

James quickly shakes his head, murmuring, "No. she's good."

Sirius smiles in confirmation, hugging the woman he's come to know as his mother. Once the greetings have finished, Fleamont says cheerfully, "Why don't you kids go up and unpack?"

Sirius nods excitedly, grabbing his bag and going flying up the stairs. James rolls his eyes and moves to take Phoebe's. She squawks indignantly, "I'll get it!"

"No you won't. It weighs as much as you do, Bee."

"If you carry mine, I'm carrying yours," She argues, sneakily grabbing his bag. The pair seem to have forgotten his parents, both of which are now watching with curious and amused looks on their faces.

Euphemia quietly backs away, pulling her husband into the kitchen while the two argue. Finally, James wins. Not because he's carrying it, but because he's levitating both of their bags away before she can stop him. He smiles smugly as they follow the bags upstairs, grinning as Phoebe mumbles French crossly behind him.

Her heart quickens slightly as he slows at the top of the stairs and turns to her. She deflates a little when he presses a chaste kiss to her cheek before ducking into his room where Sirius has already set up wizards chess. Phoebe frowns, unsure of herself as she stands and watches James. He had been so sweet, so supportive. But he would barely touch her, kiss her quickly before he'd pull away. It sent more doubt to her mind and made her chew on her lip.

Is he scared of me? Phoebe wonders to herself, rubbing her chilled palms together. Palms that could breed and shoot fire. She reckons she'd be scared too. James looks up from where he's now sat cross legged and sees Phoebe standing silently. He frowns when he recognizes her stoic mask, the one she uses to cover up what she's feeling. He says gently, "Bee, come watch. I'm gonna kick Padfoot's arse."

Sirius snorts, "Yeah right!"

He too notices Phoebe's turmoil, but smiles to himself as she carefully approaches James and sits next to him. The floppy haired boy raises his brows at how she's sat far away while still sitting near him. She's rigid, quiet. She taps her leg nervously. James hesitates, but decides to not address it then and there. They would talk about it later, when it was just them and she could finally open up to him.

Hopefully.