Chapter 8: Sheridan Enterprises [SEP]

The building stretched like a giant into the sky, the row of windows reflecting the sunlight towards the horizon. It stretched almost all the way down the street and you could occasionally see people in it. When Ruby entered the building, she took a deep breath. Corridors stretched left and right along the high room, a relatively small reception area on the left, the decorations of which resembled a jungle. Stairs up and down, numerous rooms with and without glass, all of them labeled and with signposts.
People who passed by greeted Ruby with smiles and kind gestures, and set off for their assignments. All of this Ruby created. She had saved all these people from bankruptcy, got the company back on track and made it famous.It hadn't been easy, the burden of Ruby's predecessor had been too much on the shoulders of Sheridan Enterprises. But Ruby had done her best and knew that people were grateful to her. In the end, they put even Amazon in the shade.
Ruby didn't have long to wander when she heard a female voice calling down the hallway.
Ruuubbbyyy !
Ruby laughed softly and shook her head. It could only be Kaya, Ruby's second-in-command and one of her best friends here. Ruby waited while she heard the sounds of Kaya's high heels approach.
Mrs. Richardson.
Ruby clicked her tongue in amusement.
You can't just shout down the hall.
Kaya stopped in front of her and grinned.
Right, I should have shouted from the meeting room.
They laughed in amusement. Kaya was a tall, blond woman with shoulder-length hair and freckles. She had a narrow, kind face and emerald green eyes.
Hah, it's so nice that you're back.
They both hugged tightly.
I've arranged everything for you and it's going well, the way you wanted it to be.
Ruby smiled and headed to her office with Kaya.
Thank you. I know that I can rely on you. SEP is always in good hands with you.
Kaya nodded a little and tucked her files under her arm.
Of course. You know how important all this is to me. Even if I haven't been here since the beginning, the crisis was enough for me. And I also know that you are preventing another one. We're all glad that your mother isn't here anymore, even though I know it might have been a little early for you.
Ruby sighed as she remembered her initial difficulties as a young woman. Actually, she would never have wanted to become a business woman back then, she just wanted to keep singing. On the other hand, at the time she had no choice but to continue the family inheritance. Her mother had never forgiven her for taking over SEP, even though she had arranged for the police to release her herself. Except for Kaya, hardly anyone mentioned Ruby's mother anymore, unless it really had to be after everything she'd done.

Ruby took a seat in her chair after entering her office with Kaya. Documents piled up in front of her like a hilly landscape. She was just about to take the first folder when Kaya sat down on her table and pushed the stack aside. Ruby looked at her questioningly.
Ruby. I know why you're here. Whenever you've been at him, you run straight to your office without waiting for any information from someone.
She remained silent for a while.
He did it again, am I right ?
Ruby looked down and leaned her head to one side. She stayed silent.
My God Ruby, I'm so sorry. I was actually hoping you would stay with your family. You were with them, weren't you ?
Ruby sighed.
Of course I was. But I can't stay, just be there occasionally. None of them know who or how Oscar is. They only know that I'm married. I would put them all in danger.
Kaya shook her head, as she always did when she was thinking.
Ruby they are your family. You never wanted to disappoint them again, you said that yourself. What do you think they think now if you don't talk to them ?
Ruby buried her face in her hand and swallowed the lump in her throat.
I would have told them, really, but...
But what ? What, Ruby what ?
Ruby bit her lip and looked at Kaya.
He was there.,
she mumbled. Kaya widened her eyes and jumped up.
Wh...what ?? He ? But he's dead ! You said he was dead.
Because I thought so ! Everyone said that he will never come back, that he is dead ! I never would have thought that after all these years he could stand before me so alive again.
Ruby's voice trembled. It remained silent for a while.
What did you tell him ?
That I'm married.
And ?
Nothing, well, I told him and since then he hasn't exchanged a word with me. I hurt him, again.
Kaya sighed again and put her hands on Ruby's shoulders.
Oh Ruby...it might not be the smartest way to tell him but...I think I would have done the same.
Ruby got up, turned to Kaya, and studied her. Kaya's look was compassionate and she gently hugged Ruby.
I'm sorry, sweetheart. I know it's hard for you. And I'm always happy when you're here. I'm so proud of you that you still keep going, no matter how much he brings you to the ground. One day it will be different, believe me. And I believe now that the miracle has happened that he is back, it won't be long.
Ruby closed her eyes and enjoyed how Kaya gently stroked her hair. Kaya was like the mother she never had, and although she really could have been ar through her age, she treated Ruby like a well-proportioned person to whom she offered a home. Ruby had never felt more at home than with Kaya's family, even if she didn't see them often. Kaya and Taylor could write Ruby's Life as a book. Ruby stayed in this position with her for a while until it slowly broke away. Kaya brushed her hair behind her ear and smiled a little.
My sweetie. Sometimes you are like a little child to me, but you are my boss. But I'm happy if I can help you whenever you need some.
Ruby smiled.
Thank you. Now I would love your help to finally get these stacks of paper off my table.
Both laughed softly.
Of course, Mrs. Sheridan.,
Kaya teased her gently and finally they both got to work.