Chapter 6: Home again

Ruby stepped out of the airport building, sunglasses on and a hat pulled down over her face, her fingers clutching the handle of her suitcase. People pushed past her, the announcements from the loudspeakers echoed through the whole building in the background. If Ruby wasn't so terrified of flying, she probably would never have left the plane. But in view of this fact she was always happy to have ground under her feet again.
She pushed past the many people, she was happy to finally hear the typical American ranting from the people around her that she actually always missed a little, even if she was the kind of person who rarely complained. Ruby took a deep breath as she walked towards a black car, the paint nearly blinding her in the sunlight. In front of the car were two men in black suits who had been waiting for Ruby's arrival. Ruby was very happy to see them again because they were something like her two best friends that she could always count on. Ruby stopped in front of them, took off her sunglasses, and lifted her head. There was a smile on her face.
Sawyer, Taylor. I'm glad to see you again. I hope you don't wait too long.
The younger of the two men inclined his head a little. He was not long under Ruby's wing, but she found him very reliable and responsible. Ruby had entrusted him to Taylor because he was the only one she had known from when she was young. Taylor knew Ruby better than anyone else in the world. He knew her ways, her happiest moments and her deepest secrets that she carried in her heart. He was far more than a bodyguard to her, he was the one she would trust with her life if she had to.
No ma'am. We're not doing that, but we've been expecting you.
Sawyer smiled briefly. Taylor took her suitcase from Ruby and opened the trunk to make it disappear into it. Ruby has taken a seat in the car and leaned against the back seat. She waited patiently until her two men had taken their seats and finally drove off.
I hope you had a fine flight. Do you feel good ?
Ruby nodded a little and looked at Taylor through the rearview mirror.
It's okay, I can stand and run, that's the main thing.
Taylor smiled briefly and turned his gaze back to the street.
I hope your surprise was a success. Sky told me about it when he called. It was about your granddaughter, wasn't it ?
Ruby rolled her eyes inwardly, a little amused. It seemed true that Sky loved to tell a lot. She was sure that he had learned this from Sophie.
Oh yes, it is,
she finally replied.
In the end, Sophie was really happy about it. It was a very nice stay there and I hope to be there again soon.
Taylor knew why she was 'just hoping'. He knew the things that would await Ruby at home, but Ruby had repeatedly insisted that he should not do anything. As the journey continued, it remained quiet, and with every mile that Ruby got closer to home, her hands began to shake more and more. She knew that she would be late at home and that this would mean a lot of trouble for her.
After a long while, Taylor had stopped the car on a small, unpaved back road and left it with all the other occupants. A few yards away a huge, bright property stretched into the sky. Ruby had already stopped remembering how many acres the property was. She had bought it at her husband's insistence, although she couldn't really stand the style. She would have preferred it to be simple, but her wishes never really played a role in this relationship. The house and the garden, which could resemble a park, were separated by a half-high wall of light green bush hedges. On the left there was a bed of all kinds of brightly colored flowers and a meadow with a few fruit trees, between which a porch swing and a hammock were stretched. That was all Ruby was responsible for, because this was her little oasis of retreat when, as so often, she was alone. On the right side were two huts, both of which were her husband's quarters. Ruby had only dared to look into both of them so far, and the thought of what she had seen there ran a chill down her spine. The whole rest of the garden looked rather neglected, her husband didn't think much of gardening, flowers and garden gnomes. Conifers covered parts of the meadow, some of them brown and quite bare.
Sawyer was already back in the car while Ruby felt Taylor's hand on her shoulder.  Good luck. You will need it. You know call me if you need help or someone to talk to.
Ruby nodded a little and looked at him briefly until she made her way to her house. After a few minutes she could hear the car drivinh away and sighed again. She would have loved to go with them. She entered the property via a gravel path, along the stone meadow edges. Her gaze wandered over to the right. That was where her beloved car collection stretched. She loved Audis, and owned all shapes and forms of that brand.  Something she was proud of. Probably all together were worth billions.
She approached the entrance as she walked up the steps to the front door. Her trembling fingers clanked the keys out of her jacket pocket. While she was at it, the door opened with a sudden jerk. Ruby nearly died of a heart attack and sucked in a shock. In front of her was a man, nearly two meters tall, one hand still on the door and the other against the frame. His dark hair was tangled and hung over his face, his expression was angry and his eyes were almost sparkling. He smelled strongly of alcohol and drugs, and Ruby could see on his arm that he had apparently thrown in something a few minutes ago. He stared at her for a while, until he leaned over to her.
What what ?! What are you looking at me like that ?! You're too late...again !!!
Ruby escaped his gaze and suppressed the urge to hold her nose.
She felt his hand on her neck, how his fingers grip her hair tightly and he pulled her close to him. It hurt, but Ruby tried not to say anything.
Who do you think who you are ? I told you when to be here !! You know what happens now, don't you ?!
Ruby knew. Before she would have protested, but now she just nodded, tears streaming down her face. She was afraid, afraid of the pain, afraid of him. She did not want. But there was nothing that could have helped her. He pulled her inside, his grip still in her hair. Ruby had her hands pressed against his hand, but the pain remained. He dragged her over to the kitchen after slamming the door. He leaned her over the table, meanwhile he pressed his hand to her neck. Ruby felt the pressure in her chest, she wanted to breathe freely. She was still crying. She had endured all of this for years. After a while he pressed his hand to her mouth to force her to be silent. Ruby put her hands against him unsuccessfully, she wanted to scream. The pain that rushed through her for the next second was hellish. She felt his hot, sticky body against hers, his other hand under her shirt. She shook herself, still cried, and her screams were muffled by his hand. He let her feel his anger, all the hatred he harbored for her, his relentless desire for pleasure and satisfaction. Ruby felt humiliated and gross for all that he was. He took his time adding more and more pain to her with every movement.