Chapter 9: The way back

I miss you. I hope you come back soon, I have so much to tell you.
Ruby listened to her granddaughter in silence, the words moving her deeply. It had already been a few weeks since Ruby left Kalokairi. Her heart longed terribly to embrace Sophie again. She wanted to know how she was doing, to help her. Just be there. But Oscar had always been at home, and her fear was too great that he would not let her go.
And you have to talk to him. He has to know what's going on. If you don't tell me, it'll be him. He deserves it after all the time he's longed for you.
Ruby sighed audibly, it pained her to know that she had left him so lonely.
I know. Sophie, it's hard...really. But...I don't know how much he'll hate me then.
Ruby had never intended to tell anyone about all of the things that had happened since she got married to Oscar. She was far too ashamed of having failed as a person.
I don't think anything will be so bad that he would just let you go again. Grandma, please...don't do this to him anymore.
Sophie almost sounded pleading, and Ruby couldn't manage not to take this request to heart. Even Sophie didn't know the whole truth, and Ruby knew that this might lead to a lot of trouble.
I'll try my best, okay? I promise.
She added it to get Sophie to stop talking about him.
I'll be back soon, believe me.
Sophie sighed.
I hope. I don't want to lose you again.
Ruby smiled a little sadly.
It's late Sophie, you should rest. I'll call you when I know when I'm coming.
Ruby heard a faint protest on the end of the line, but Sophie finally agreed.
All right. See you soon.
Ruby waited until she heard the short click to end the call, then put the phone back down and ran her hands over her face. Her gaze fell outside through the ceiling-high glass. It was already dark, but the advertisements and lights were bright and full of color to keep the nightlife alive. Everyone would want to be in this place if they could, but right now she longed for the peace and quiet in Kalokairi and to be with the rest of the family.
There was a soft knock behind her and Ruby heard someone come inside.
It was Sophie, wasn't it ?
Kaya closed the door behind her and slowly walked over to her. Ruby sighed softly and nodded a little, brushed the tears from her eyes and looked at her. Kaya's hand rested on her shoulder.
You miss her, I can see that. Don't you want to see her again ? It's been a while...she would be happy.
Ruby took a deep breath and put her hands on her lap.
I know. She wants me to talk to him. I can't...
Ruby...,
Kaya began soothingly.
No, I can't...I can't do this to him...
Ruby got up while she said this, her voice sounding scared and desperate while Kaya tried to calm her down.
Hey, it's okay... please...
Ruby shook her head and tears formed again in her eyes.
He'll hate me, hate me for everything I've done and kept quiet !
Kaya's hands settled comfortably on her cheeks, she gently ran her thumbs over them and looked at her.
Sshh, it's okay...listen to me, my dear...
Ruby fell silent, looked at her in silence, and cried silently.
He won't hate you. You have to give him time. Ruby, it's been forty-six years...you've both been through a lot, all you need is time. But he loves you more than you think and that will never change. You love him, and you know that, I know that, and I know how much too. But you have to be honest with him, he will understand. Believe me.
Ruby nodded a little and sighed.
Do not worry sweetheart. I know that you can do that.
Kaya leaned against Ruby's table and smiled. Ruby nodded a little bit again.
Okay, thanks...I really appreciate that.

That evening Ruby wasted no more thinking about when or how she wanted to get somewhere, let alone what would happen. All she wanted was to be able to be with Sophie again, to finally do something right in her life. Piles of clothes, cosmetics and other travel items disappeared into her suitcases and bags that she had never packed faster. It was like running away from something. But if you took it right, she did. She fled from her life here, from everything that was happening that awaited her here. And even if it wasn't forever, at least for a while. Taylor had got her the plane ticket that evening because she didn't want to wait a minute longer than necessary. SEP had placed them in Kaya's trusted hands, the shoulder of which she had cried again full of sobs, until she could calmly rely on Kaya's words. Time passed like in slow motion and Ruby couldn't wait. She chewed her fingernails as she paced restlessly up and down. All the thoughts from before came into her head and she finally stopped in front of her window, arms crossed. Everything could have been different if her parents hadn't forced her to direct her life as it was now. All she wanted now was the love of her life that she had to wait for so long to get back.
After a seemingly endless while, she finally heard Sawyer and Taylor's car as they came to a stop in the gravel-covered driveway. Ruby gave them barely five minutes before she came out of the house packed and slipped her bags into the trunk. When they turned at the street towards the airport a few minutes later, she let out a deep sigh and the tears run down her cheeks.