Chapter 9

"Good friends don't let you do stupid things... Alone."

- Ain Eineziz

****

Adilyn's POV

The heat of the sun nips at my exposed skin as I lay sprawled out on the grass near the lake. Mila lies next to me, copying my position as we both lie on our back, arms drooped over our faces to shield ourselves from the sun. It's been a couple of hours since Harry and I had returned from our run.

The skin of my stomach is starting to turn red, burning more easily as it doesn't usually see the sunshine, the black bikini doing little to cover much else. I relish in the feeling though, the heat making an aura of calm settle over me.

When Harry and I had got back we had parted ways, Naz and Mila stealing us each away. Now, he is in the lake playing a game of volleyball with Naz, Liam, and Cooper, using a strung together piece of material as a net.

My thoughts have been uncontrollable today as they drift back to this morning, replaying over the heated memory of what happened in the lake. I can't seem to get the way he had whispered my name out of my head. It was so deep, so husky and so unbelievably sexy.

"So what was with that kiss last night?" Mila questions, snapping me out of my trance.

"What?" I blurt, feeling her eyes on me.

"Oh please," she scoffs. "You can't tell me that kiss from last night wasn't the steamiest thing you've had in a while."

"Mila!" I accuse, my eyes going wide as I turn to look at her.

She grins at my expression, "Just saying I know all your encounters and can honestly say you're definitely overdue for some hot snogging."

"Oh my god!" I slap my palm over my face at her words. She has indeed seen all of my so called escapades with boys, most of them occurring at parties when we were in high school. That was before... Well before my life got a little too chaotic to worry about such things.

I roll my head to the side to look at her. Her expression is smug, and she raises her eyebrows at me daring me to deny it.

A small smile plays at my lips and I whisper, "You don't know all of them..."

She sits up sharply and squeals, "What?!"

I sit up quickly next to her. Her loud squeal captures the attention of the guys playing volleyball, their faces turning to us. I can't stop my eyes from meeting Harry's as he looks at us curiously. I look away.

"Mila, shut up!" I say lowly, pulling her back to lie down next to me.

"You kissed him again didn't you!" She accuses excitedly, this time the volume only loud enough for our ears.

I pull her to the side and we both roll to our stomachs so our backs are to to the boys, the position making our conversation more private.

Mila's eyes widen at me expectantly before impatiently questioning, "Well?"

"Yes," I squeak, suddenly shy to tell her what I did.

"Woohoo!" She calls out, fist pumping the air and I hush her again. "When?"

"This morning on the run, we went for a dip in the lake to cool off and then, well...we kissed."

She covers her mouth and squeals into her hand kicking her feet dramatically, unable to control her excitement. I love how enthusiastic she is.