Chapter 30: ANGER AND I LOVE YOU'S

It is not just Adelaide that is trying her best to maintain composure in the prince's chambers as Mira is not looking happy at all. The queen sends chills down everyone's spine from her presence alone, but her being upset sends the same fear one will have if he or she is pulled into a river of hungry crocodiles.

The maids stand in a straight line facing the bed that is six feet away.

Prince Nicholas is just as irritated if not more. His mother will never be the death of him.

"Is it the truth?" She asks for the 10th time, watching her son as he comes out from behind the divider, a thick cloth tied around his waist, his well-defined chest glistening with beads of water from his bath.

He maintains his silence heading over to his dressing table, taking a seat. "So it is true. I should have known you stopped going to the brothel since last year. Why are you soiling our family name? You have not introduced her to us which means you know we will not approve. I hope you have not said anything that will get that wretch-"

"Mother," he says in a cautioning tone, glaring at her. "She is not a wretch."

"Yes, she is! Are the women in the brothel not enough for you?!"

"Leave my chambers mother"

"I will not! You have never defended a woman so much in your life."

"You will not understand-"

"To hell with understanding! You will leave that girl immediately, if not I will find and eliminate her, no matter what."

Nicholas stands up towering her, "Get out"

Queen Mira frowns, standing her ground, "How dare you-"

"GET OUT!" he yells at her, the veins on his arms and neck bulging out.

Everyone in the chambers flinches when they hear him yell. The prince has never lost his cool like this, and Mira is in shock. She walks out of his chambers with the last ounce of pride she has, glaring at the maids who know better than to make eye contact with her.

"Everyone get out!" he exclaims, all of them doing just that. Adelaide does not stop to spare him a glance, doing as she's commanded. Since the time he confessed his love to her, she has never been afraid of him again, until today.

The maids murmur to themselves walking to their next stations in the castle leaving Adelaide locked in her own thoughts.

She is glad she did not tell the prince about her pregnancy. Ever since she found out about her little one and decided to keep it, the slightest thing scares her, not because of her wellbeing, but for the wellbeing of her baby.

A hand touches hers making her flinch and turn around immediately. "Maria," Adelaide breathes out, bowing her head.

"He wants to see you."

"Right now? I have to go-"

"Adelaide, please just go," she says with a worried expression on her face.

After much hesitation, she turns around heading back to his chambers, her heart pounding harder with every step she takes towards the destination.

Her knuckles collide with the door, the voice of Prince Nicholas telling her to come in. Adelaide gives Maria one last glance before walking inside.

"Your highness," she bows before standing erect.

Chadwick turns around walking towards her but stops when he sees her take a step back. Her actions cause his chest to tighten.