Chapter 8: STABLE AFFAIRS

"Get her out of my sight. Let her wait by the kitchen or the stables. Anywhere but here. The sight repulses me"

Adelaide's heart sinks when she hears Nicholas say this. A hand touches her shoulder and she looks up to see a maid tilting her head to the door, signaling for her to follow her lead. Adelaide looks up, meeting Nicholas' glare before bowing to them, following the maid out of the throne room.

His words shouldn't hurt, but they do. Is this the way one is supposed to talk to the person he/she loves?

If so, she doesn't want to be loved by anyone, it is no different from being a slave.

"I apologize for the way the prince talked to you. I was shocked by his words actually. It seems the queen is rubbing off on him," Maria explains.

"I am a slave. I don't think it matters." Maria can't help but feel sorry for her. Why would the prince say something like that? The women pass the long line of people waiting to voice their concerns to the royal family. Adelaide follows Maria past the kitchens and down the rose hill. "It is beautiful isn't it?"

The woman nods, admiring the roses of different colors, as she walks on.

"Stay in there," the woman says, pointing to the horse stables. "You can sit. I can only imagine how long you work for your masters in a day, considering you are the only...slave."

"Thank you."

"Not a problem at all." Adelaide watches as Maria heads back up the rose hill, probably back to the throne room. She turns her attention to the horses that have their heads out of their stalls, eating their hay.

The sight of them enjoying their food makes her stomach rumble.

"As I was saying, your highness. I will offer you, my slave, if I cannot pay you back," Grayson says, his smile never leaving his face.

"What could I possibly want with the head of your slave?" the queen asks, lifting her eyebrow at him.

"She is our main hand. Without her, our lives are as good as over."

"Don't give him the loan," Nicholas glares at him.

"Why not son?" the king asks.

"I don't trust him. Excuse me for a moment father." Nicholas stands up, heading out of the throne room immediately.

Adelaide all but jumps off the chair when she sees an old man walking inside the stable.

"It's alright. I didn't mean to frighten you." The man says, lifting his hands. The woman bows at him. "Please, I am a servant just like you."

"I-I am a slave sir," she bows again.

"We're all the same if you ask me. Come, let me introduce you to the horses." Eli takes his time, telling Adelaide about all the stallions as they go from stall to stall. "And this is the prince's favorite...Lady," he says, coming to the last horse.

"She's beautiful."

"Indeed. Anyone will be glad to have her. She's devoted to Nicholas, and won't let anyone ride her, except him."

Eli pets Lady, the young woman looking at the horse with keen interest.

"Well, I just came to check on them and it looks like they're still enjoying their meal. I hope to see you again," the man tells her.

"Likewise sir." The old man nods with a smile, leaving the stable while Adelaide turns her attention back to the horses. She admires Lady but feels her heart clench when she remembers Prince Nicholas' words. She should not be upset, the sight of her would repulse anyone in their right senses. She understands that Nicholas is a prince and shouldn't involve himself with someone of zero status and class. It's been a week since they last saw, a week long enough to change his mind about her. It doesn't matter, she just needs to forget about him and move on with her life. The problem is that she feels so much more for him. The kiss and his confession has filled her with hope and kept her going this past week. She was obviously too naive to believe such nonsense.