Chapter 28: SECRETS

Grace pushes her meal to the side, hands on the table waiting for him to rain his own insults on her.

Nicholas takes a deep breath, it is best for him to listen to Maria to avoid anything that could jeopardize Adelaide's life.

"Why are you asking for my maids now? Are yours not doing enough for you?"

She carefully trails her eyes over the man standing in front of her. What could that woman possibly have that she does not?

"Grace!"

"Your highness. I apologize, I was overstepping my boundaries. I will never go anywhere near them again."

Charlotte has already cut her pride in half, she does not need the man she loves to massacre it any further.

Chadwick sighs, running his hand through his hair. She's not worth his time.

"Stay in your tracks. I don't need you poking your nose in my business."

"Yes, your highness."

Something definitely does not sit right with the prince. This woman only talks back to him and uses his mother as a shield, but today she's just...quiet.

"That's it?"

"What?" She places her meal in front of her, looking back up at him.

"You're not going to talk back or laugh?"

"Do you want me to?"

What?! Who is this imposter? She has all the features of Grace but behaves nothing like her.

"You're Grace right?"

The Lady chuckles wiping her mouth and standing up, walking to him. "Prince Nicholas, if you do not want me going near your maids I respect that. I will do anything you want...Anything," she says, touching his shoulder.

There she is. Nicholas takes a step back. "Do not involve yourself in my business. That's all I ask," he turns around heading out the door before she can throw herself on him again. How do women like this have no shame?

Grace's jaw clenches in anger and sadness...nothing has ever gone her way. What did she do in her past life that was so wrong?

***

"She's supposed to be in the kitchen Maria," Matilda says, folding her arms.

"She is a maid of the prince before she is a maid in the kitchen and I want her to accompany me in buying things today," Maria holds her ground.

Matilda looks at Adelaide with a worried look. She does not want her getting mixed up in these castle affairs, they get messy really quick and before anyone knows what is going on, someone is killed as punishment; the queen spares no one.

"Adelaide, do you want to go?" The woman asks, her voice incredibly soothing. "I'll be fine, thank you," she replies, a faint smile on her face.

Matilda reluctantly nods, allowing Maria and Adelaide to head off.

"You seem okay today, compared to last night," Maria comments as they walk towards the castle gates.

"Yes, I am feeling much better. I believe it was just the overwhelming events that occurred. I am not used to this."

"I understand." The women get to the gates and Maria turns to the guard on duty. He seems completely uninterested in the job at hand because his snores can be heard from a mile away. The man is standing, leaning against the gate, towards the corner, by the wall, his mouth wide open, inviting insects that seek any form of shelter.